Proper Fire Extinguisher?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

triangulum33

Whenever it feels right!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Realized the other night that with 4 burners and a 100lb tank in my garage, I need to invest in fire protection. I know next to nothing about extinguishers.
Any input?
I was looking at this one:
41r0C17WtIL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VBGG5Q/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess it comes down to whether 15 seconds worth of chemical dispensing is going to be sufficient to quell a fire before that 100 pound tank decides to vent...

Cheers!

Of course you would. So, is 15 seconds enough?

btw, if you're a home owner, you might want to make sure that the tank and brewing in the garage aren't a problem with your home owner's insurance...

Cheers!

I always thought this was why you drank while brewing? In case of fire, you have a very full bladder at the ready....

Whatever you decide to get make sure you get it inspected and recharged annually. Don't want to be in a situation where you have to use it and nothing comes out.

2A-10BC extinguisher will work fine. I am a professional firefighter and that is what we recommend to most people. Of course you could go bigger without a problem. The biggest thing though is knowing how to use it!! You don't need to worry about your 100 lb tank venting. It takes a lot of heat to do that.....more than any household extinguisher can handle.

This sounds stupid, have your garden hose locked and loaded. Your CO2 tank depending on size can also put fires out, bucket-O-sand and lastly a smoke/CO alarm. Set up the gas shutoffs so you can get to them when SHTF. I'm not a Fireman, but I was a heating guy and I've had my share of fires.

Back