Brett Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nberk

Reaction score
I have some questions about a Saison I'm going to brew soon.
I'm planning on brewing a Brett saison using the recipe Tomme Arthur
put out in the White Labs bulletin for the Saison Blanc. I am planning
on doing a 10 gallon batch but splitting it between the WLP670 and
WLP566.

When looking at his recipe I can see that it's designed to maintain
body in the face of the Brett addition and uses quite a bit of Wheat,
Rye and Oats. I wonder how this beer will do in the
non-Brett portion? I'm curious if this carboy will end with too much body for
a really good saison?

Here's my planned recipe:
58% 2 Row
32% Unmalted wheat
5% Golden Naked Oats
5% Rye

60 min Hallertauer 23 IBU
30 min Motueka (B Saaz) 9 IBU
15 min Motueka (B Saaz) 6 IBu

At flame out:
Dash of White Pepper
4 oz Golden Raisins

Mash single infusion at 149 for 1hr
75 minute boil

Ferment starting at 64 degrees with rising temps slowly to 78 over one week.

I like my saisons bone dry, so it would probably finish too heavy for my taste given the amount of unfermentables, that said it might be a great beer. If your concern is style, I might consider modifying the non-brett half, though how concerned you are with it ending as a saison per style guidlines will probably end up driving your decision.

My last two saisons were simpler grain bills and I got extremely high attenuation from the yeasts. I like my beers dry in general and especially my Saisons.

The problem is that I am basically doing a combined mash, boil, chill and then pitching the 2 different yeasts into carboys. So its hard to modify the non-Brett portion's grain bill to promote fermentation. I could modify the whole recipe a little though. Perhaps I'll drop the % Unmalted wheat and up the base a little. It's an experiment anyway and the one I'm most interested in is the carboy with the Farmhouse Blend.

I like my saisons bone dry, so it would probably finish too heavy for my taste given the amount of unfermentables, that said it might be a great beer. If your concern is style, I might consider modifying the non-brett half, though how concerned you are with it ending as a saison per style guidlines will probably end up driving your decision.

What unfermentables? They're just adjunct unmalted grains, that doesn't equal unfermentable. Anyhow I'm sure with brett it'll be bone dry.

The portion I'm asking about is the carboy I plan on not having Brett in. I'm planning on doing a carboy with WLP566 as well as the WLP670.

I don't think unfermentable sugars will be an issue with either one. I've gotten 94% apparent attenuation with WLP566 before. The Wheat, Rye, and Oats do have more protein than barley and are known as ways to increase body/mouthfeel in beers. I'm just wondering if people with more experience than me would look at that recipe and say it'll be too full for a good saison?

You should get near or total conversion in the mash. I would only be concerned with unfermentables if you are not getting total conversion because even saison yeast (to my knowledge) will not chew up starch. (Brett will. )

The non-brett portion will dry out. It won't be as thin as a brett saison or a saison made with only malted barley, but you're not adding anything with residual sweetness (like crystal malts). It might seem less dry due to the adjuncts and body. If you are concerned it will be too thick for your preferences you could cut the unmalted wheat with malted wheat (or more malted barley) and just add a little wheat flour to the brett carboy.

The highest % of rye, wheat, or other I've used in a saison is just under 30%. That might be a bit full. The rye saison I did with malted rye at 27% has a unique mouthfeel. It's dry as hell at like 1.002 but it's got a cool mouthfeel.

I'd let it go as is, and taste it as primary fermentation is done. Then if you decide you want to dry it out more, add simple sugar and let it ferment out again.

BTW, I'll be making a All-Grain Farmhouse ale with 11oz each of golden naked oats, wheat, and rye and WLP550 this summer. Specialty grains are bagged as a kit I made up last fall. I'll add pils as a base. I just haven't decided how high of an OG to do yet. I chickened out on a larger percentage of the grain trio until I made one batch to adjust from there. It wasn't mouthfeel holding me back, just unknown taste.

If your really worried about the non Brett Hslf drying out a bit then just add a half pound to a pound of simple sugar in the fermenter. Personally I think it'll be fine.

Tomorrow is brew day for this one. I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks for the input everyone.

I took gravity samples on my beers last night 2 (14 days).

The WLP566 was at 1.002 and the WLP670 was at 1.004. The apparent attenuation was about 95%. They both taste similar right now and I'm happy with the flavors and mouthfeel. The "fear" that the non-Brett version would be too full was unfounded.

Now I'm going to age the WLP670 at ambient temps for 2 or 3 months.

Just to close the loop on this thread. I let my WL670 age for 90 days at ambient room temps and then bottled it. It turned out great and I'm really happy with the complexity and added depth the Brett brought forward over time. I would highly recommend this blend to anyone wanting to make a Brett saison.

I ended up brewing mine twice with some tweaks to the recipe. First time it was a pils base with 7% each of malted rye, Golden Naked Oats, malted wheat, and sugar using noble hops and WLP550. It was a ho-hum beer. The oats and rye definitely contributed an almost cloying mouthfeel. I didn't care for the yeast flavors either in this.

I rebrewed it with 10% each of the malts and sugar, hopped with Pacific Jade and Nelson Sauvin, fermented with a year and a half old 3711 smack pack and the dregs of 3 DuPont Saison bottles, then hit it with Orval dregs at kegging time. That one came out well. I tapped it too early (1month- pipeline was low) and wasn't excited about it, pulled it out of the fridge, then retapped it another month later. Definitely needed the age. Dried out, but those oats and rye really keep the mouthfeel smooth.

That's the first Saison I've had with Brett and I really like it. I documented in here in a SiMaiYa Saison thread. I'll tweak further next summer.

Currently I have a Pannepot clone just pitched with 670. So it won't result in a clone, but I figure a good winter warmer with complexity.

Just to close the loop on this thread. I let my WL670 age for 90 days at ambient room temps and then bottled it. It turned out great and I'm really happy with the complexity and added depth the Brett brought forward over time. I would highly recommend this blend to anyone wanting to make a Brett saison.

I'll second this - I used WLP670 for a farmhouse rye (10% flaked, 10% malted, 80% Belgian Pilsner) and after three months in primary the results were fantastic. Now I'm just waiting for another 2 months of bottle conditioning, but this blend is great.

Back