Cider and, um....digestion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DraconianHand

nudge, nudge, wink, wink
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Probably TMI, but I thought I would ask before I made 5 gallons of cider.

Apple juice goes through me like water through a garden hose. I mean real quick. Like, within 20 minutes quick.

Anybody have any clue if I will experience the same gastrointestinal adventure with cider?

Probably not. The sugar (fructose) will be gone and that is probably causing your problem. Fructose intolerance doesn't get the attention lactose intolerance does, but it's real. Then there's those "laxative hydro gels".

I suspected that I would not have a problem. With my ability to move apple juice through my system like it was a drag strip, I have only sampled cider in small quantities. Never wanted to risk ruining a pair of underwear (and pants, socks and shoes), just to find out if drinking cider was up for a race.

Well, the best way to be sure would be to find some to try first.

I suffer from a similar problem, Apple Juice makes me "sick" in moderate to large amounts, and unfiltered sweet cider makes me "sick" in pretty much any quantity, probably a combination of whatever makes me sick with AJ, plus all that extra fiber. I still drink them... I've never had a problem with any of the commercial hard ciders, nor my own, even those that use lactose as a sweetener, and I'm lactose-intolerant.

But... I don't drink anywhere where it would matter if I had a stomachache anyway, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Latest posts

Back