Enough of a boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattrennert

Reaction score
I have a 4500 watt element wired up with a 3 way switch, so it is either 4500 watts at 220v or 1125 watts at 110v. Question is, is this a rigorous of enough boil on the lower setting?

Last edited by a moderator:
IMHO I would think so, as long as you let it hot break to where it was fixing to over flow, then a boil like that is what I always try to acheive. It IS boiling.

boy, I don't think so. It's boiling in the center in that it's more than a simmer, but the sides are so stable that I wouldn't consider that a "rolling boil" at all.

You don't need it to rock the whole stand, but you should definitely have more movement and get a hot break.

I use the 4500w to bring the temp up to boil and it gets pretty vigorous. I use the 4500w for ten minutes during hop additions, otherwise its the lower setting. Its a converted keg so I don't have to worry about boil overs.

If I leave it on 4500w for the whole hour I get a little over 2 gallons boil off.

I use the 4500w to bring the temp up to boil and it gets pretty vigorous. I use the 4500w for ten minutes during hop additions, otherwise its the lower setting. Its a converted keg so I don't have to worry about boil overs.

If I leave it on 4500w for the whole hour I get a little over 2 gallons boil off.
Honestly look into the PWM route. For around 40$ you can make that element do what ever you'd like.

How long into the boil was that? Thats what mine looks like at first, but once all the foam on top settles it looks a big stronger. I'm worried mine isn't strong enough now

This is toward the beginning of the boil , I had just flipped it down to to 1125 watts for the video so i could get everyone's opinions.

There is actually a lot of movement of the wort on the outer edges, but you can't really tell with that foam on the surface.

I use propane and once I get my hot break I will back it off to a boil very similar, you don`t need a raging boil, just enough to move the wort around

1125 is too low to maintain a boil in a keggle IMHO and IME. While a pwm as mentioned above will work excellent, You could also try a 3500w element at 100% for the entire boil. Reducing to 1/4 power is too much of a cut to maintain boil IMO.

Back