String Lateral Shoots?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peregrinebio

Reaction score
Hi All,

So I've been cutting back early growth on my second year Cascades for the last month or so. It's pretty incredible how much growth there is:ban:. Anyhow, I'm ready to string some bines and let them go, but I've realized most of the growth I'm getting is lateral shoots coming from buds below where I've cut.

My question, can I string these lateral shoots, or do I need to string primary shoots only?

Cheers

Those are the same as the first ones you removed. They're not lateral shoots but rather shoots emerging from buds situated deeper on the crown. The increase in vigor from this year to next will be even more amazing. Your situation is similar to a commercial farmer removing first growth then allowing later growth to climb and produce his crop. Go for it.

Cool, thanks

The increase in vigor from this year to next will be even more amazing.
Yeah, this is what I keep reading, which is hard to believe. I had pretty good success last year, 1lb per plant, in a drought year. I planted 6 plants in a 5x16' bed staggered. This year I have shoots coming up all over the place. If next year is even better the whole bed is going to be full :rockin:

Back