Star San racking cane accident

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeUltima

Reaction score
I know I'm probably just being a worry-wort here, but I'm still a newbie at home brewing and maybe just need someone to tell me to relax and everything will be fine, LOL.

I had a little accident while I was bottling my 6th batch (Cooper's IPA + 1kg ldme + 500g dextrose) tonight. I mixed my priming sugar into the boiling water then after letting it cool a bit, I added it to the bottling bucket.

I like to prime the racking cane/tube with star san, then I usually have a cup sitting beside my bucket to pour the star san into until the line turns to pure beer, then I move it into the bottling bucket with the sugar water.

Somehow I totally forgot to have my cup sitting there and added the star san directly into the bottling bucket without even realizing it until it was way too late. Now I continued on with the bottling process, but I'm a little worried that I may see some negative effects because of this (lack of carbonation or off tastes).

I measured the amount the racking cane and tube holds to about 100ml (between 1/3-1/4 of a US cup) and it was spilled into around 21 liters (5.5 US gallons) of brew.

I've read on this forum that spilling star san into the brew before fermentation is all cool, but I wanted to be reassured that spilling a little in while bottling is also cool.

No worries. Did you add the priming sugar?

Yup, the priming sugar/water mix was already in the bottling bucket when I started racking the beer into it. My worry was that the star san I had in the racking cane/tube to start the siphon would cause an issue.

Thanks guys for the quick response, I feel a bit better now. :eek:

Back