Control 12V w/ Ebay Aquarium Controller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

autobaun70

Reaction score
It appears that the switched relays are powered independently from the power feeding the actual controller. Am I correct in assuming that it is fine to power 12V from these terminals? Thinking of rigging up a temperature controlled fermentation cooler utilizing recirculating water. I have several 12V bait tank pumps and a regulated power supply to run them off of.

my thought is, set up a recirculating colling system similar to what is being discussed in this thread:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/water-fermentation-chiller-81501/

And house the entire thing inside an insulated box with a space heater inside. The cold water tank would be outside of the box, with the lines running a minimal distance into/back out of the chamber. Temperature probe would be inside the 10 gallon construction cooler, with fermentation done in a carboy inside of it. Hook the lines up with garden hose fittings so that the cooler could be easily drained, and I would never have to remove it from the cooler to rack, kinda an overgrown carboy carrier.

It seems like it would work to me as well. I had planned on using one of these controllers to control my son of fermentation chiller instead of a thermostat. Anyone who has actually done this?

I think I am going to have to try it out. I ordered a controller with the thoughts of picking up a fridge or freezer to convert later on. Other than a few inexpensive fittings, it won't cost anything to rig up. The test run will have to be done in a smaller cooler to avoid buying another. If it works well, might have to go shopping.

The Aquarium controllers are pretty neat devices. They will switch either of DC or AC, as it's a relay-type of switch. Once the circuit is made, it'll pass whatever you send through it. However, I'd make sure NOT to exceed the capacity (10Amps I think).

Alternately, someone could rig up a home battery-powered thermostat in their kegerator, run a 12VDC through the switch, and have it activate a relay (the 12V car-type can handle 30A). I used to run a refrigerator that way, never had a problem.

M_C

Back