Second Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uechikid

Reaction score
Planning on brewing my second batch of gluten free beer tomorrow.
Here is my recipe.

6 LBS sorghum extract
1 Lb crystal buckwheat
1/2 lb roasted buckwheat
1 oz Chinook 60 min.
1/2 oz cascade 30 min.
1/2 oz cascade 10 min.

Any suggestions??
Thanks
Rich

I don't have any suggestions, as I'm still waiting to make my first GF batch (I finally transferred my non-gf out of my primary, and I'll probably be busy every night this week, so hopefully saturday!) but I'm wondering about your buckwheat. Did you malt it, then roast, or did you soak it an then roast? Are you doing this as a partial mash, or just steeping? What did you do to yield a 'crystal'? How dark did you roast the buckwheat?

I'm very interested in how this turns out, as buckwheat and sorghum are both ingredients I can get locally, and at reasonable prices.

The way I got the crystal is , I malted the buckwheat, then while it was still green (wet) I kilned it to 160 - 180 deg. for about twenty four hours. After that I took some of the crystal and heated it to 250 for an hour 275 for an hour then 300 for two hours. I my have left the green malt in the oven too long but it tastes good. I'm kind of concerned about the hop schedule.
My goal is to cut that sorghum after taste.

The way I got the crystal is , I malted the buckwheat, then while it was still green (wet) I kilned it to 160 - 180 deg. for about twenty four hours. After that I took some of the crystal and heated it to 250 for an hour 275 for an hour then 300 for two hours. I my have left the green malt in the oven too long but it tastes good. I'm kind of concerned about the hop schedule.
My goal is to cut that sorghum after taste.
I've heard that subbing some rice syrup will help cut the sorghum after taste. I'm hoping for this, and the coriander and bitter orange peel in my 'wit' will help. Perhaps the buckwheat will help as well?

I accidentally doubled the cascade part of the hop schedule. It seemed really hoppy to me. That normally wouldn't be a big deal but this is for someone else. O.G 1.040. I hop she likes it. Oh yeah, It still had that spicy sorghum after taste.

Well, I racked from the secondary to a keg yesterday. Man is that a hoppy beer. If it was for me it wouldn't be a problem, but it's for a friend who doesn't like really hoppy beer. I'm going to bottle it next week. I hope she can get use to it.

I forgot to update this batch.
I was very concerned about how hoppy this batch was going to be. After letting it sit in the secondary for a few weeks before bottling, and then not tasting for about a month this is a real good beer.
Yes the bite did mellow some. One thing I didn't take into account when tasting along the way is, the bite mellows after refrigerating.

Not sure how much refrigeration had an effect, I have never noticed that one.

Tasting beer out of the fermenter is always really bitter and crazy hoppy though. You can count on the transfer to bottles and conditioning lightening it up quite a bit.

Not sure how much refrigeration had an effect, I have never noticed that one.

Tasting beer out of the fermenter is always really bitter and crazy hoppy though. You can count on the transfer to bottles and conditioning lightening it up quite a bit.

I think the flavors blend together better when the beer is cold. If you've ever had a room temperature beer and then had the same beer cold, they don't even taste like the same beer. To me anyway.

I think the flavors blend together better when the beer is cold. If you've ever had a room temperature beer and then had the same beer cold, they don't even taste like the same beer. To me anyway.

The only difference I perceive is a large carbonation difference. Although making the beer colder does tone down the taste, so I can see where you are coming from. It is why frequently in other countries beers are drank warmer, to really taste them.

I always thought temperature and carbonation had something to do with the taste. A warmer beer would taste different and would seem more carbonated than one that was cold...right?

I can't say from experience since I've never tested it with beer, but theoretically you’re right. Colder solutions hold more gas than warmer ones. And cold also affects your tongue's ability to taste (a common practice in wine is to chill a not so great one to make it more palatable).

As for warmer beer in other countries, I think that just comes from serving beer at room temperature...but most other countries are a lot colder than the U.S. so room temp is still pretty cool.

I know with wine, temp makes a huge difference...I would think it would be much more pronounced with beer.:mug:

I always thought temperature and carbonation had something to do with the taste. A warmer beer would taste different and would seem more carbonated than one that was cold...right?

The warmer beverage would actually BE less carbonated than the colder one, because the amount of CO2 in the beverage is constant, and the pressure in the headspace would vary with temperature inversely with the beverages CO2 content.

In other words, the beer would hold less of the CO2 at a warmer temperature pushing more into the headspace when you opened it.

I can't say from experience since I've never tested it with beer, but theoretically you’re right. Colder solutions hold more gas than warmer ones. And cold also affects your tongue's ability to taste (a common practice in wine is to chill a not so great one to make it more palatable).

As for warmer beer in other countries, I think that just comes from serving beer at room temperature...but most other countries are a lot colder than the U.S. so room temp is still pretty cool.

I know with wine, temp makes a huge difference...I would think it would be much more pronounced with beer.:mug:

Don't get me wrong, serving temperature definitely makes a large difference, but I was just questioning the fact that fermenter hop flavor was only different from cold beer due to the temperature. In my experience, a warm, flat beer in a bottle is still much less hoppy due to the conditioning process, not because of carb or temp.

It's the same with food too. You cook a tri-tip, slice it up and have a great dinner. Then the next day you go to the fridge and grab a piece to nibble on and it doesn't taste as good. But you put it in the micro wave for 30 seconds and....BAM the flavor is back.

Well I finally got around to getting this beer to the friend that I made it for. I took a case with use when we got together for four days on Lake Oroville.
She loves it. I was concerned that it might be to hoppy but she thought that was what made it great. The way she was drinking it I'm going to have to get busy and make some more.

Well I finally got around to getting this beer to the friend that I made it for. I took a case with use when we got together for four days on Lake Oroville.
She loves it. I was concerned that it might be to hoppy but she thought that was what made it great. The way she was drinking it I'm going to have to get busy and make some more.

It's good she was drinking it fast, after a few months it will just be nice and bitter. :p

Back