Force Carbing Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poto101

Reaction score
So I just kegged a batch for the first time today and tried force carbing by cranking up the PSI and shaking it. I did, however, forget to "bleed" the air pressure before shaking it. I did so once i realized I forgot this step (after shaking for 2 minutes).

Is bleeding all "air" out of the keg a crucial step? You guys think my beer will be okay??

Good question. Your post reminded me I did something similair with natural keg carbing - I added 50g sugar solution to the keg and pressurised it to about 5psi to ensure a good seal but I didn't purge the air.
Maybe someone can comment on this as well.

It's likely that the act of racking the beer into the keg caused some residual co2 to come out of solution. That would push most of the ambient air out of the keg and the headspace. Even if you had a couple cubic inches of air in there, the actual oxygen exposure would be very low.

I wouldn't worry too much about this.

I did the same thing once and it occurred to me to put in an oxygen scavenger (ascorbic acid) to take care of it, but SWMBO came along, handed me a cold pint and I forgot to do it. Long story short, there wasn't any problem with that keg when I got around to drinking it.

Back