Leeking cornie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wort*hog

Reaction score
I have two cornies of Mexican stye that have sat for 2 weeks I conditioned each with 1/3 cup corn sugar and put 5lbs of co2. I found one was not pressurized today. I tapped it, iced it down. It serves up flat. Should I change the plug with one from another cornie, force carbonate and tap the other? Or what. I dont have any keg lube and it's not available locally.

You really need to find out where it's leaking and how badly.

Put it under pressure - about 20 psi and go over all the connections and seals with soapy water. Once you find the leak, we can figure out the best course of action.

The leak is on the plug gasket I thought I had it sealed when I kegged it. I put a little beer on it and tapped the plug lightly with a lick hammer untill the bubbles stopped. But I guess that wasn't good enough. That's why I mentioned changing plugs with one from another corny.

If you can swap it, go ahead and do it. Otherwise, you can use a little vasoline. If you force carb, you'll probably want a little more psi. Probably about 10-12 or so

Ol' Grog said:
Sometimes taking the seal off and flipping it around works.
It sealed good when I flipped the seal. thank you! I put 15lbs to it, shook it good and changed to the other keg. All is well!:ban:

rdwj said:
If you can swap it, go ahead and do it. Otherwise, you can use a little vasoline. If you force carb, you'll probably want a little more psi. Probably about 10-12 or so

Vaseline can be used, but it does not have the properties of being tasteless and odorless.

Wild

wild said:
Vaseline can be used, but it does not have the properties of being tasteless and odorless.

Wild

Ya, it's not the best choice, but he said he couldn't get any keg lube. I figured a little bit to seal it up would be better than leaking CO2

When you are setting up a corny keg, you should crank the output pressure to about 30 psi to properly seat the seals. Then you can turn it back down to your carbonating/serving pressure. You don't have to leave at 30 psi, just crank it up once to get the pressure in the head space and then turn it back down.

Back