pot question (boiling that is..)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What type of pot do you use to boil?

• Aluminum

• Stainless steel

• Some other space age stuff..

Results are only viewable after voting.

MadWeezel

Reaction score
Does it really mank a difference if i boil in a Aluminum stock pot or a stainless steel pot? I feel like making the move to AG and need a bigger pot for the bigger starting wort. So is the extra $$ worth it?

Well...I have had an aluminum pot start to melt on me before (not literally on me), when I moved it off the burner into the sink it dripped molten aluminum and cracked it a lot, had to buy a new sink...that was my fault for not being watchful enough, but also for using something with such a low melting temp.

G. Cretin said:
I believe Aluminium reacts to the acidic nature of wort.

sigh

go with aluminum unless you can find some kegs at the local scrap yard. aluminum is just fine. to clean them use only mild dish detergent and a soft sponge. don't use caustic chemicals on aluminum.

that's it. no mysteries.

of course if you want i can dredge up FDA reports and alzheimers.org reports to concur with the safeness of aluminum...but really if you take care of your aluminum it will be fine.

brewhead said:
sigh

go with aluminum unless you can find some kegs at the local scrap yard. aluminum is just fine. to clean them use only mild dish detergent and a soft sponge. don't use caustic chemicals on aluminum.

that's it. no mysteries.

of course if you want i can dredge up FDA reports and alzheimers.org reports to concur with the safeness of aluminum...but really if you take care of your aluminum it will be fine.
I'm just sayin' I read that somewhere. Ass.

new aluminum pots can leave off flavors in the beer the first few times they are used. You can simply boil water in it for a good half hour, dump the water, and then make beer. Its not the best thing to use. Im fond of the enamled lobster pots, you just have to take care not to bang them around and scratch the enamel. Use a wooden or plastic spoon/paddle only as metal will chip the enamel.

I used the aluminum pot that came with my turkey fryer for months never had a problem with off flavors. They work fine just don't use a really thin one or use acid based chemicals to wash them.

Dropping a tums or rolaids in your brew will add significantly more aluminum than will leech of the pot.

I am gonna start all grain as well....and after reading plenty of debates on the subject, decided to go with a modified keg from kegs.com.
With shipping, and exchange rate..worked out to about $110.00 for a stainless keg, with a hole cut on top, 15 Gallons, and acid washed...
I'll post a review once I get it (re: shiping time, etc.) I wouldn't recommend ordering online as the website is a little shotty (maybe they do ordering via another provider)...but over the phone, the service was good.

I looked everywhere for something that size, and that was the cheapest I could
find.

Cheers.

got tired of using 3 stainless steel crock pots of 10 and 15 litres to boil my wort inside so went to a 30 litre aluminum turkey frier.
after boil overs i said ***k it and i am buying a bigger pot.
i now have a 60 litre aluminum pot

I voted aluminium because that's all I have for a full boil. If I had a choice, I'd get a stainless keggle.

Axegod said:
I am gonna start all grain as well....and after reading plenty of debates on the subject, decided to go with a modified keg from kegs.com.
With shipping, and exchange rate..worked out to about $110.00 for a stainless keg, with a hole cut on top, 15 Gallons, and acid washed...
I'll post a review once I get it (re: shiping time, etc.) I wouldn't recommend ordering online as the website is a little shotty (maybe they do ordering via another provider)...but over the phone, the service was good.

I looked everywhere for something that size, and that was the cheapest I could
find.

Cheers.
:eek: DUDE! I use 3 converted kegs and got them for 20 a piece I had to cut the holes and all but $110.00 thats crazy.

G. Cretin said:
:eek: DUDE! I use 3 converted kegs and got them for 20 a piece I had to cut the holes and all but $110.00 thats crazy.

The keg was actually $70USD..and $30.00 shipping...with all the work done.
Compared to commercial sized SS kettles (2X or 3X price) - I am ok with it.
I tried searching all over..but based on everything (time, gas, time, etc) it works for me.

Great deal you got !

Back