The Mustard thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeFlynn74

Reaction score
Holy crap this blows away any mustard you can buy- Im rubbing down some ribs this weekend with this stuff and some dry rubb.

Its easy as hell too

1/4 cup mustard seed
1/4 Cup dry mustard powder
2 tsp light brown sugar
1 tsp Kosher salt
1/2tsp Tumeric
1/4tsp paprika
1/4tsp Garlic Powder

Grind the Mustard Seeds and add to the rest. Make sure seeds are powder.

Add 1/4 Cup water + 1/2 Cup Cider vineger + 1/2cup Sweet pickle juice stir till fully mixed.
Put in microwave for 1 min or a little longer toget it hot.

Once its good and hot use a food processor until its nice and thick

I made some of this mustard when I made his soft pretzel recipe, very good stuff. I did not have all the exact ingredients so I had to improvise, good nonetheless. It will also keep for weeks to months in the fridge.

I have been making my own mustard for years. If you buy the powder online ( I get mine from www.atlanticspice.com) the ingredients cost should run around $1 for about 24 oz of prepared Mustard.

I encourage everyone to work with their own unique ingredients to find a balance as to what you are looking for. I made a Bourbon Honey Mustard last. One thing I will add is that after you mix the Mustard it will be the hottest, and it can take a while to mellow. Hold it at room temperature for a few weeks until it mellows to the level of pungency you are after. Then arrest the process in the fridge.

I have been making my own mustard for years. If you buy the powder online ( I get mine from www.atlanticspice.com) the ingredients cost should run around $1 for about 24 oz of prepared Mustard.

I encourage everyone to work with their own unique ingredients to find a balance as to what you are looking for. I made a Bourbon Honey Mustard last. One thing I will add is that after you mix the Mustard it will be the hottest, and it can take a while to mellow. Hold it at room temperature for a few weeks until it mellows to the level of pungency you are after. Then arrest the process in the fridge.

Bourbon Honey Mustard Recipe pleeze!!! :D

I love Alton and I love mustard. I'm gonna try this out but I will sub in beer for some of the other liquid...:mug:

It occurred to me that what Alton is doing is jump starting and arresting the enzymatic reaction in the Mustard by microwaving. I still like the traditional approach.

One of the things I enjoy at the Flat Branch Brewery in Columbia, MO (besides the Green Chile Beer) is the spicy beer mustard that they make in house. It is wonderful with their soft pretzels and accents their ploughmans platter exceptionally well. Does anyone have a recipe for one they make at home and would like to share:mug:?

It was whole grain. This was one of the first times I had tried a whole grain mustard that was as coarse. Thanks for posting the link, some of those look fun to try.

It's rather simple to prepare Mustard, so I'd suggest ordering a bag of Dry Powdered Mustard (it shouldn't cost you more than $3 or so for a lb.) and a bag of either yellow or brown (whichever your preference) whole Mustard seed. As Orfy mentions it is little more than mixing the powder and ground Mustard together with liquid, usually water and sometimes vinegar (depending on the style you are shooting for...ie. Chinese style omits the sour component). I also adjust with salt and sugar. When you first taste it, it will most likely be quite bitter but that mellows with time and the true flavor comes out. What you want is to get the right balance of salt/sour/ and sometimes sweet flavors with the pungency of the Mustard. To make the Beer Mustard just use some good Pils or something light in color in place of rehydrating with water.

Bourbon Honey Mustard

Yield: 3 Cups

226 g Dry Mustard
63 g Brown Mustard seed (coarsely ground)
70 g Honey
17 g Sea Salt
1.3 C Water
.7 C Bourbon

Whisk ingredients together in a bowl, cover and age at around 70 F for no less than 3 months. You can easily scale the amount desired by forming a fraction of the desired amount in cups to the base amount of 3 cups. The resulting multiplier is used on all the ingredients. So if you wanted 2 cups you'd multiply each item by 0.67 (2/3) and use the resultant weight or volume. Depending on the Mustard you may need to slightly adjust the water amount to get the consistency you are after. Two things to keep in mind: 1) the prepared Mustard will thicken a bit once it sits and 2) If you chill it, it will thicken a little as well.

Alton Brown is a mega pimp he really helped me take me cookcing to the next Level i have tivo-ed all the goodeats episodes

Bourbon Honey Mustard

226 g Dry Mustard
70 g Honey
17 g Sea Salt
1.3 C Water
.7 C Bourbon

Whisk ingredients together in a bowl, cover and age at around 70 F for no less than 3 months. You can easily scale the amount desired by forming a fraction of the desired amount in cups to the base amount of 3 cups. The resulting multiplier is used on all the ingredients. So if you wanted 2 cups you'd multiply each item by 0.67 (2/3) and use the resultant weight or volume. Depending on the Mustard you may need to slightly adjust the water amount to get the consistency you are after. Two things to keep in mind: 1) the prepared Mustard will thicken a bit once it sits and 2) If you chill it, it will thicken a little as well.

Thanks! i'm going to have to try this soon!

Bourbon Honey Mustard

226 g Dry Mustard
70 g Honey
17 g Sea Salt
1.3 C Water
.7 C Bourbon

What kind of bourbon did you use? Also when I cover is a mason jar fine or should it be able to interact with the air some?

Back