Grapefruit Soda (Izze Clone)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mglicini

Reaction score
So I began this adventure searching far and wide for a recipe and to my misfortune i was unable to find one that was able to give me workable numbers.

So I started out on my own. what i used that barely yielded 10 bottles, i will use more next time.

59 fl oz. of grapefruit juice (I used Florida natural, too lazy to juice that 7-8 grapefruit)
48fl oz. of white grape juice (i used welchs white grape fruit concentrate and mixed the water in)
and for every 12 ounces of liquid i used 1 oz of sugar.

i really liked the aspect of drinking esp. soda right out of the bottle. im sure you could do this the old fashioned way with a pinch of yeast but i didnt want to deal with another factor for the first round. flavor was enough for me.

I force carbed at 30 psi set and forget method after a week or so, brought the psi down to 12 and counter pressure filled it into the Corona bottles that i soaked in star san for 3 days to take the label off of them.

i understand that counter pressure filling is a pain and not everyone has one, i just didnt want to go through the hassle of getting the right amount of hosing to gas ratio. my beer is on tap i dont need my soda too but that was it

it turned out perfect. In my completely unbiased opinion ;) ;) it was better than an Izze. I didnt strain it and there was pulp in the bottle. At first this annoyed me but i do think it made it look and feel more homemade but if you absolutely hate pulp just strain it out

this taste like your drinking a grapefruit a little sweet but still tart on the back end if you like grapefruit you will like this. i am open to any feed back i am in the process of making a small batch of Key lime soda right now so i will let you know how it goes. cheers

Sounds like a great experience. You have me craving some grapefruit soda now. Think I'll stop at the store on the way home. Except I have kids so I think I'll try real grapefruits! They can do the work.

FlyingDutchman said:
Sounds like a great experience. You have me craving some grapefruit soda now. Think I'll stop at the store on the way home. Except I have kids so I think I'll try real grapefruits! They can do the work.

Yeah that would be a lot of fun for them I'm sure... Let me know how it Turns out

I just completed my second soda this is my rendition of Key lime soda much like Stewarts just this is my way to get my flavor without having to go buy commercial soda esp. because stewarts key lime is always hard to find.

a batch yields 14-15 bottles

48 oz white grape juice (i used welchs white grape fruit concentrate and mixed the water in)
64 oz of minute made limeade concentrate (1 container)
16 oz of Nellie & Joe's Key west Lime Juice
64 oz of water
and 1 oz of sugar per 12 oz

this turned out very good. i once again force carbonated at 30 psi drop the pressure down to 12psi and counter pressure filled into bottles. It taste very limey and a lot like key lime may need more water just because of how tart it is but i like it. another trick i do is before i mix the water with the concentrate I heat it up and add the sugar so that way i know it is all dissolved... hope you guys like it

Latest posts

Back