wine kit not clearing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vox

Reaction score
Good morning all. I have my first wine kit, a Chardonnay, that should be ready to bottle but is very cloudy towards the bottom even after giving it an extra week as the directions recommend if not yet clear. Please see my picture and give me your opinions and any advice. I would greatly appreciate it as this batch is a present for my parents. Thanks.

ForumRunner_20130505_104523.jpg

ForumRunner_20130505_104551.jpg

ForumRunner_20130505_104618.jpg

My wife has done a few wine kits and has had no problems. I would advise the obvious, re-read the directions and make sure you have followed them as exactly as possible. Temps, racking, lengths of time, chemical additions, etc. I do seem to recall it took a while for the lees to settle out. Did the kit come with a clarifying agent? (Sparkalloid, polyclar). Cold crashing is also an option.

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/finishin.asp

My wife has done a few wine kits and has had no problems. I would advise the obvious, re-read the directions and make sure you have followed them as exactly as possible. Temps, racking, lengths of time, chemical additions, etc. I do seem to recall it took a while for the lees to settle out. Did the kit come with a clarifying agent? (Sparkalloid, polyclar). Cold crashing is also an option.

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/finishin.asp

I did everything per the instructions. Temps and all. I don't have the instructions on hand, but I've used all of the chemicals included and degassed it pretty good. It's been over a week since the estimated bottling date.

I'll bet ya dollars to stale donuts you didn't fully degass it. So either wait 6 months or put some vacuum on it.

Vox said:
I did everything per the instructions. Temps and all. I don't have the instructions on hand, but I've used all of the chemicals included and degassed it pretty good. It's been over a week since the estimated bottling date.

Be patient with clearing, it will eventually clear. It takes time.

I have a 6 month old apple/strawberry that is still naturally clearing/degassing. Time is your friend

I'll bet ya dollars to stale donuts you didn't fully degass it. So either wait 6 months or put some vacuum on it.

I degassed it til there was just a little psst after shaking the test sample. I thought I read you need to add additional chemicals if plan to age the kit more than a few months. Does the separation in the picture look normal?

I degassed it til there was just a little psst after shaking the test sample. I thought I read you need to add additional chemicals if plan to age the kit more than a few months. Does the separation in the picture look normal?

You just need to put a little bit of sulfites in it if you want to keep it longer. Grab a bottle of camden tabs crush a few up, mix in warm water and pour in.

It doesn't look unnatural, what fining agent did you use?

Back