Specialty IPA: Black IPA Darth Vader - Black IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hopville says 58.8 for me. I think it will vary though based on what percentage alpha acids your hops have, and that may be different from vendor to another.

cookiepussbrewery said:
I was wondering if you could let me know what your boil size was as well. I am looking to do this real soon and didn't know if you did a full boil or smaller.

JJ

I started with 4 gallons and after a 70 minute boil I was down to 3 gallons

CliffMongoloid said:
Brewed it up today... Its sitting happy

I transferred it to the secondary 2 days ago... Ill leave it there for another week before bottling.

CliffMongoloid said:
How long did you primary?

I primaried for 4 days, my OG was 1.070 and transfer gravity was 1.018, I'm expecting an FG of about 1.010-1.012. I'll check it Thursday and probably bottle Saturday or Sunday if my hydrometer readings are ok

davek said:
I primaried for 4 days, my OG was 1.070 and transfer gravity was 1.018, I'm expecting an FG of about 1.010-1.012. I'll check it Thursday and probably bottle Saturday or Sunday if my hydrometer readings are ok

Are you being serious?

bottlebomber said:
Are you being serious?

Ummm yeah......
When I put it in the primary there was some trube that went in too... I should have left it a few more days but I'm a railroad conductor and was going out of town and wanted to get it off the trube. So I transferred it early and dry hopped at the same time. I'll take hydrometer readings thur, fri, and sat if I get all 3 readings the same I will bottle... Wouldn't you?

davek said:
Ummm yeah......
When I put it in the primary there was some trube that went in too... I should have left it a few more days but I'm a railroad conductor and was going out of town and wanted to get it off the trube. So I transferred it early and dry hopped at the same time. I'll take hydrometer readings thur, fri, and sat if I get all 3 readings the same I will bottle... Wouldn't you?

It's just that pulling the beer off of the yeast cake before you've reached FG is not good practice. You need the presence of the yeast to process fermentation byproducts and you also want to ensure that you even hit TG. Trying to take a 1.070 beer to the bottle in a week is really pushing it. There would have been no harm in leaving the beer on the trub for even many weeks. Some people have left beer on the trub for a year with no ill effects.

bottlebomber said:
It's just that pulling the beer off of the yeast cake before you've reached FG is not good practice. You need the presence of the yeast to process fermentation byproducts and you also want to ensure that you even hit TG. Trying to take a 1.070 beer to the bottle in a week is really pushing it. There would have been no harm in leaving the beer on the trub for even many weeks. Some people have left beer on the trub for a year with no ill effects.

Right on thanks! I've still got a pretty good yeast cake in the secondary and it won't be a week... It will have been in the secondary for 10 days plus the 4 days it was in the primary, so it will be 2 weeks...

davek said:
Right on thanks! I've still got a pretty good yeast cake in the secondary and it won't be a week... It will have been in the secondary for 10 days plus the 4 days it was in the primary, so it will be 2 weeks...

Ok that's a better time schedule.. In the future you should experiment with leaving it in the primary for longer though, to reassure yourself that autolysis is largely a myth. There's nothing wrong with trying to speed an IPA to the bottle though, you definitely don't need to leave it in the fermenter for a month like some people will advocate.

Brewed last night; tried to go the cheating route and sit it outside in 30 degree weather rather then dig out the chiller and turn on the outdoor hose. It got cool enough that I could put it in the fermenter, sealed it up and pitched the yeast this morning. Pulled a small sample out prior to pitching for SG of 1.064 and a taste that has me jazzed up for it to be finished! Plan on keeping it in primary and dry hopping in about a week or 10 days and bottling around 30 days or so. It is jet black; since I'm pretty new at getting my own grains over kits, given the choice between light and dark versions of the speciality malts, I chose dark. Dark Side indeed though we figured another good name is, "I might be your Father" CDA with a shrugging Darth Vader on the label.

I like thinking up names. While brewing this I came up with 4 options based off the OPs name. Some follow my ape username like i typically do. Let me know what y'all think of these. Darth Monkey, Darth Malt, Anakin Ape and Black IPApe.

Also, has anyone nailed down the days for dry hopping? I'm thinking that after 10 days I will throw my hops in for 11 days for a total of 3 weeks before bottling. Is this good? Should i use a hop bag? Someone please answer. I like posts with answers. Seriously. I'll press the button.

KingKlong said:
I like thinking up names. While brewing this I came up with 4 options based off the OPs name. Some follow my ape username like i typically do. Let me know what y'all think of these. Darth Monkey, Darth Malt, Anakin Ape and Black IPApe.

Also, has anyone nailed down the days for dry hopping? I'm thinking that after 10 days I will throw my hops in for 11 days for a total of 3 weeks before bottling. Is this good? Should i use a hop bag? Someone please answer. I like posts with answers. Seriously. I'll press the button.

I like the Black IPApe!

I transferred it to secondary probably about 3 days too early, but dry hopped it with loose pellets in the secondary when I transferred it... I will take gravity readings over the next few days and hopefully bottle this weekend!

I'll report back...

I ended up with an FG of 1.015 and bottled last night. My last bottle only filled about half way so I took a taste of it and I can't wait for 3 weeks to go by! This is going to be delicious!

I ended up with an FG of 1.015 and bottled last night. My last bottle only filled about half way so I took a taste of it and I can't wait for 3 weeks to go by! This is going to be delicious!

Me neither!

Im thinking about transferring to secondary on top of the hops on wednesday... 10 days

I brewed this today. Probably put 6 gal in the fermenter with a little left over because I underestimated my efficiency. OG was around 1.060, which was lower than the recipe but spot on for Beersmith. My plan is to leave it in primary for 2 weeks and dry hop it in the keg for another 7-10 days before force carbing. Will be my first time dry hopping in the keg. Thanks for the recipe!

BrewtalAlement said:
I brewed this today. Probably put 6 gal in the fermenter with a little left over because I underestimated my efficiency. OG was around 1.060, which was lower than the recipe but spot on for Beersmith. My plan is to leave it in primary for 2 weeks and dry hop it in the keg for another 7-10 days before force carbing. Will be my first time dry hopping in the keg. Thanks for the recipe!

Your OG was probably off because of the extra liquid... 6 gallons instead of 5.5

Your OG was probably off because of the extra liquid... 6 gallons instead of 5.5

Yep. My mashing methods in the past were not good and my friend showed me the error of my ways today which resulted in a much smoother, efficient mash.

Still debating on dry hopping in the keg or late in the primary. I bought pellet so I would have to get some whole if I decide on keg. It's going to be a long 3-4 weeks. Can't wait.

BrewtalAlement said:
Yep. My mashing methods in the past were not good and my friend showed me the error of my ways today which resulted in a much smoother, efficient mash.

Still debating on dry hopping in the keg or late in the primary. I bought pellet so I would have to get some whole if I decide on keg. It's going to be a long 3-4 weeks. Can't wait.

I know how you feel! Mine went in the bottles yesterday! I used brown sugar to prime with and figure it will boost my ABV up .25% which will make this 7.45% and the taste of it at bottling was out of this world!

I would use leafs for dry hopping in the keg, not pellets. Trust me, I do it all the time. Leafs rock in the keg, pellets suck ass in the keg.
Read this.

Would a hop sock work for whole leaf or should I get the heavier duty paint strainer bag? Boil it in water to sanitize or just StarSan it? Also, I would be force carbing. I guess it might just take longer for the dry hop aroma to show up. Thanks for the tips.

Just wanted to give y'all an update... As with every step of this brew I opened a bottle last night (it actually turned into two) I have had it in the bottles for almost 2 weeks so I was a week early... It was fricken awesome!!! Absolutely black in the glass with a thick foamy off-white head even when poured down the side of the glass! The taste was just incredible... I'm going to try to let it sit for another week, but I won't make any guarantees!

This is after pouring it down the side of the glass!

image-2686253411.jpg

I almost always open a bottle a week early, and by that I mean at one week since I normally only condition for two weeks. I did let my last batch go for three though after reading in this thread.

I just finished bottling. I got 51 plus the half that I'm sipping on. I ended up at 6.84%, and will definitely be tasting one next week when a friend comes into town. Most will wait two or three weeks though.

Tossed into bottles two days ago and loved the way it's going right now. I'm not one to understand all the good descriptors such as "shoe leather" and other stuff I'd not put in my mouth but I really liked the hops profile I got and just can't wait to let it sit a few more weeks!

I don't think, after reading more and more of these posts, I used the same grains in the original post but I like what the end product is and will probably just hit the "reorder" button when I make my next batch!

I used Pale ale malt, Blackprinz Malt (Briess), Dark Crystal (Simpson's), and Carafa II (Weyermann). I hear it's going to be a lot more roasted flavor from the Carafa I used versus the Carafa spelled out later in the post but like I said, it's really tasting good right now as flat, green beer!

SG 1.064 and finished 1.018 so not too bad! Already working on making room for another batch!

This is mine, a similar recipe with citra, Amarillo, and Nelson Sauvin. Black comes from Blackprinz and Midnight Wheat. If you look closely, you can see the black writing on the glass. I call it "Juan's Yugo."

image-1370060834.jpg

Effingbeer said:
This is mine, a similar recipe with citra, Amarillo, and Nelson Sauvin. Black comes from Blackprinz and Midnight Wheat. If you look closely, you can see the black writing on the glass.

I see a mash paddle... I love Blackprinz for this kind of recipe.

I love this beer. I took a photo but am having trouble with doing a mobile upload. Just know it couldn't be any darker.

Two weeks in the bottle and a brief two day stay in the fridge 'cause I had to try it! Looks great and tastes awesome! Very hoppy but not overly floral. Moving my first case of pints into the fridge to sit for a week now!

IMG_0031.jpg

Latest posts

Back