1 Gallon Glass Jug ONE GALLON Indicator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spyk'd

Reaction score
This may sound painfully obvious, but many people do not realize...

...the 1 gallon point on a 1 gallon, glass jug is exactly where the raised letters are that are printed "ONE GALLON" and NOT up the neck, at all. This is a mark, not a label.

See?

4120-PC290172.JPG

Like I said, this MAY be painfully obvious!

:cross:

BuffaloSabresBrewer said:
Did not know that Im going to assume thats the situation for my half gallon jug. Nice.

I helped ONE person! I'm satisfied...

Glad I could help.

:mug:

So what size of stopper do those take. Laughing! I just picked up five of them at my folks over the holidays.

A #6 stopper will fit the jug and I'd recommend getting a couple un-drilled ones for aerating your wort by shaking the jug stoppered. This is how I make my starters.

:mug:

The amber jug looks like an acid bottle and that would be comparable to the clear one I have. If the words "ONE GALLON" are stamped into the bottle, it's a dead giveaway that it's a marker.

The bottle on the right looks like a Gallo (or somesuch) gallon wine jug and those will measure up to the neck due to preventing headspace.

You can always use a measuring cup to find out and report back to us!

;)

i already have. they both run to the neck

as an aside the brown/amber is an old soda syrup bottle circa 1950's
there's a salvage company nearby that has 10-15 cases of em (sixers)

Hmm, well you’re 8 oz short there. I just tested mine and it was one gallon to the tippy top. It actually overflowed a couple ounces. So on mine (and possibly yours) the one gallon is just a label.

always weigh out your water and then add to your jug, then mark your jug with a gold or silver sharpie pen. Happy new year to all of you in USA, canada, cuba, etc.

I did not know that. I figured out what mine is and put a piece of tape and a sharpie mark. It was about to where you said it was. I still had some space before the top of the bottle. Good to know.

Back