Some quick mash question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tochsner

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am 25 minutes into a 90 minute mash. I undershot my temperature by 2 degrees and the mash was thicker than I thought it should be. You guessed it, I goofed making doing the math from quarts to gallons and ended up 150 instead of 152.
Put the other gallon in now to raise the temperature some or just let it ride and add it at the batch sparge?

What are you brewing? A lower mash temp will produce more fermentable sugars, so the FG will be lower (maybe only slightly).
Depending on how thick the mash is, you could have no impact, no negative impact (positive impact), or a negative. Really helps to know what you're making here.

Chances are, at 25+ minutes in, anything you do now won't change much.

What are you brewing? A lower mash temp will produce more fermentable sugars, so the FG will be lower (maybe only slightly).
Depending on how thick the mash is, you could have no impact, no negative impact (positive impact), or a negative. Really helps to know what you're making here.

Chances are, at 25+ minutes in, anything you do now won't change much.

Yeah, it's a Black IPA. I figured it didn't matter at this point anyway.
Sixteen pounds of grain mashed into 4 gallons. I don't mind the extra alcohol and I tend to like my beer a little drier. I am concerned about it being watery. It was for an upcoming contest.

I imagine I will still drink it all. :rockin:

150 and 152 are almost identical. 152 is kind of the turning point where things start to get sweeter, but at the hump around 151 there isn't much of a difference in fermentability.

Yeah, it's a Black IPA. I figured it didn't matter at this point anyway.
Sixteen pounds of grain mashed into 4 gallons. I don't mind the extra alcohol and I tend to like my beer a little drier. I am concerned about it being watery. It was for an upcoming contest.

I imagine I will still drink it all. :rockin:

If you have time, brew another batch where you mash at a better ratio (more than 1qt/#) and at the temperature you wanted. Then see how the two compare. :tank:

If you have time, brew another batch where you mash at a better ratio (more than 1qt/#) and at the temperature you wanted. Then see how the two compare. :tank:

Good idea. I will go tell my wife I need to brew another batch today. Nothing can go wrong with that plan. :)

Back