Take Five

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zmanzorro

Reaction score
In the spirit of Dogfish Head's beer music series (e.g. Bitches Brew, Positive Contact) and the recent passing of Dave Brubeck , I want to make Brew-beck inspired beer named Take Five. Ideas so far are to make a West Coast IPA (Brubeck was know for his West Coast Jazz style) using Safale US-05 (for his hit 'Take Five'). Not sure about the grain bill just yet. Are there any other jazz enthusiasts out there with any other ideas?

I love this beer concept! The 5 grain/hop idea is good also. The brew would have to be something unexpected, but supremely delicious... im thinking something dark with some interesting or unique hoppiness. Then again, i might have just described my favorite type of beer...

Barnesie said:
Technically, you might want to make it 5 grains and four hops since the song is in 5/4

Good call. I wasn't thinking.

So after tinkering around here is what I came up with:

Mini-mash:

4.0 oz. Crystal Malt (40L)
8.0 oz. Crystal Malt (20L)
4.0 oz. Carared
1 lb. Pale Malt (2 Row)
4 lbs. Pale LME

1.0 oz Cascade (60 min)
0.5 oz Centennial (30 min)
0.5 oz Chinook (30 min)

0.5 oz Columbus (dry hop)
0.5 oz Cascade (dry hop)

Safale US-05 American Ale Yeast

I'll have to adjust the hops once I have actual AA%'s.

Any suggestions?

Definitely move the 30 min additions up to 20 or 15, and personally id change the crystal 40 to 60, but thats just me.

I really wanted to use Citra for the aroma but my usual LHBS doesn't have any, but I just found another store that does. I might just use an ounce or two of Citra for dry hopping instead of the Columbus and Cascade now.

Going to make some tinctures this week before I start brewing the next weekend. I was thinking of using some spices from the White IPA recipes, like orange peel, coriander, and lemon grass.

Why not use some ingredients from other countries since Mr. Brubeck was a world wide performer.

Latest posts

Back