• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

ERNST Home Brewing Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BonzoAPD

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a home brewing kit to move up to from my Mr. Beer kit. Located in NY/NJ Hudson Valley area.

Check out northernbrewer.com for their started kit. Really good. Still use most of what I got in that kit. And it's a great deal.

Chingis74 said:
Check out northernbrewer.com for their started kit. Really good. Still use most of what I got in that kit. And it's a great deal.

Which kit? The $79 one or the $149 kit?

Chingis74 said:
I bought the kit with 2 carboys and got the glass carboys

Do you wind up doing a lot of two stage fermenting or do you brew 2 beers at a time? Also is there an advantage to glass over the plastic carboys?

First, what is ERNST?

Second,
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/vs-pro-con-analysis-109318/

Read that sticky. It has all the points on glass vs plastic vs buckets etc. (plus LOTS of other comparisons). In the end they all make beer and it's personal preference. If you end up going the glass route, treat the carboys with a lot of respect. Especially when they are full. You can lose a finger and a lot of beer with a little slip-up. Brew Haulers are awesome and I would recommend them if you use carboys. Also DO NOT use the handle on the neck of the carboy to lift it whenit's full. The neck is not meant to support the weight of a full carboy.

All that being said, I love my glass carboys and got rid of my BB. Glass just seems more badass to me. Also I hated the suck-back i got when picking up the better bottle full.

I agree with zee. I love my glass carboys. I mostly use them for brew multiple beers but my IPAs I transfer out and dry hop in the smaller one. I have 6 carboys so I won't ever run out of room

It's all a matter of opinion on which you like. Both have pros and cons. I got started with glass and won't go back

zeekage said:
First, what is ERNST?

Second,
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/vs-pro-con-analysis-109318/

Read that sticky. It has all the points on glass vs plastic vs buckets etc. (plus LOTS of other comparisons). In the end they all make beer and it's personal preference. If you end up going the glass route, treat the carboys with a lot of respect. Especially when they are full. You can lose a finger and a lot of beer with a little slip-up. Brew Haulers are awesome and I would recommend them if you use carboys. Also DO NOT use the handle on the neck of the carboy to lift it whenit's full. The neck is not meant to support the weight of a full carboy.

All that being said, I love my glass carboys and got rid of my BB. Glass just seems more badass to me. Also I hated the suck-back i got when picking up the better bottle full.

Was meant to be WTB but my phone auto corrected it as I posted it.

Thanks for the link I am checking it out now.

Back