Gluten free vs normal...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

claphamsa

Professional Jezter PWNZR
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a coworker who is gluten free... she wants to make her own beer, now with normal I could help... but im not sure of what the differences are! is there a basic description? is it essentially extract brewing with sorghum instead of extract?

I have a coworker who is gluten free... she wants to make her own beer, now with normal I could help... but im not sure of what the differences are! is there a basic description? is it essentially extract brewing with sorghum instead of extract?

That's the easiest way to start.

Do a basic recipe with hops (60/15/flameout) and use the sorghum with a 1:1 ratio. Recommend fermentis yeast and some sugar in the boil to dry the flavour a bit (sorghum can finish a bit sweet).

I dunno... I've seen Gluten-free Wyeast smack-packs, which I suppose says something about their normal ones...

most, if not all dry yeasts, are gluten free. thus you should you dry yeast unless you can get your hands of the wyeast gf. so i'd change the extract to sorghum and yeast to dry. make sure your brewing equipment is very well contained. i know a few people that can get a reaction from just eating/ or drinking something that has come into contact with gluten previously. if you're doing all grain, i'd use millet, quinoa, buckwheat, or something of that sort. you'd have to malt it yourself though, which is another whole issue.

I really like to use Lager yeast, the beer seems creamier and more like a real beer.

Granted only made a few, but doing a Pils or Lager seems to work well with sorghgum (fermenting and conditioning below 55*F)

From my understanding white labs yeast is basically gluten free. It is accepted as gluten free in most countries but not in the US since we have a bit stricter rules on what can be called GF. My wife is very sensitive to gluten and I brewed a basic wit using WLP400 and she's had no issues. Glad to know that Wyeast offers a dedicated GF yeast, will be looking for that soon.

I just did a gluten free beer with brown rice extract and sorgum video here: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/user/epicbeerdude?feature=mhee#p/u/3/_uZayC4MxP4]epicbeerdude's Channel - YouTube[/ame]

Back