Expert Advice Needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ningirsu

Reaction score
Hello beer experts! I'm maybe going to be in a place where beer and malted barley are very expensive and hops is non-indigenous. Now I know **** about making beer, but come on--how hard can it be? So hear me out.. I'm thinking wheat beer, made with only unmalted wheat and some simple grut. Expensive equipment and fancy instruments are not really my style unless they can be salvaged or scavenged in some way. Also I'd want as close to instant gratification as possible, so no interminably lengthy fermentation. I'm only planning to brew enough to supply 10-20 beers a day. How doable is this and what sage advise might you have for me?

Ningirsu said:
Hello beer experts! I'm maybe going to be in a place where beer and malted barley are very expensive and hops is non-indigenous. Now I know **** about making beer, but come on--how hard can it be? So hear me out.. I'm thinking wheat beer, made with only unmalted wheat and some simple grut. Expensive equipment and fancy instruments are not really my style unless they can be salvaged or scavenged in some way. Also I'd want as close to instant gratification as possible, so no interminably lengthy fermentation. I'm only planning to brew enough to supply 10-20 beers a day. How doable is this and what sage advise might you have for me?

Ummm....what? Do you have or plan on purchasing a mash tun or fermenting vessel? Maybe you should stick with the local LQs Miller High Life or PBR? 10-20 beers a days is actually a lot to supply and ferment and is going to require a lot of effort and money. If you are serious about brewing, I would purchase a brew kit (as little as $50) and order the ingredients via internet and pick up a book on brewing while your at it. Do you plan on using store bought yeast or keep an open bucket outside with the hot wort to collect any wild yeast and other microbes that may drop in? I'm honestly confused on what you plan on doing or how you are going to make beer, not trying to be a jerk.

I can concur with BD about the wheat beers, but I seriously don't think you have the resources to brew for 10-20 beers a day.

Many of us here have spent thousands of dollars on equipment and can't/don't have the time or supplies on-hand to make enough brew to supply that schedule. I have 5 buckets and 4 carboys, 2 beer fridges and a freezer, 20+ empty cases of 1/2 liter bottles, 25 kegs, my own brew kitchen and I buy my supplies in bulk...and you want to use salvagable equipment? Will you have the time to learn how to brew and the time to brew enough?

I'd surely hate to turn you off to the idea, but unless you're brewing a batch everyday for a week or so then have to wait at least 1 month for the first batch to be ready to drink it's just not doable. Sorry, but that's my opinion.

For now I would just recommend you go to John Palmer's "How to Brew" book (1st edition available on-line to read for free) for research first before committing your time and $$$ into this dream we call homebrewing.

I started brewing over 13 years ago and I'm still no expert, but I play one on TV and did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night...

Yeah, the average batch of homebrew yields approximately 60 12oz. bottles of beer, which means yours would only last for roughly a week, which means you'd have to brew every single week to keep up with your demand.

Maybe bigger batches? Like 10+gal?

How about NOT brewing beer and brewing apfelwein or something...

My vote is this is a teenager that doesn't have access to friends that are old enough to buy alcohol nor money outside his weekly allowance.

DeathBrewer said:
well, i can say that wheat beers have the shortest fermentation time and are pretty much 4 weeks from start to drinkable, so you're halfway there!

Is there anything that would be finished more quickly than that?

homebrewer_99 said:
I can concur with BD about the wheat beers, but I seriously don't think you have the resources to brew for 10-20 beers a day.

Well it looks like I'll have to settle for a smaller operation, but that's fine.

zoebisch01 said:
Lol, wtf is this thread :drunk:

Anyhoo, 100% unmalted, will that convert even??

Does anyone here know if that would work? I can't see why it wouldn't.

greenhornet said:
Maybe bigger batches? Like 10+gal?

How about NOT brewing beer and brewing apfelwein or something...

I thought all ciders required many months of fermentation. Cider is excellent and apple juice widely available so if it could be done in a month that would be great.

homebrewer_99 said:
ROTFLMMFAO!!!! I just checked his profile....:D :D

I'm not sure he can lift and empty carboy at this point...

I'm quite spry after I get a few beers in me. Frisky too!

Thanks to everyone for the advice and encouragement!

I guess I am still curious of the reasons behind wanting to brew this much beer this quickly.

My guess is you have access to these ingredients, and you want to drink a lot, (I hope I can when I am old) and you don't want to wait around to start drinking.

Back