Yuengling-like Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewDey

Reaction score
Talked to my buddy who's on the Appalachian Trial. Now he's on pace to be back for the New England game (October 1) and has fallen in love with Yuengling during his time in Eastern PA...so I wanted to brew something along those lines, but in an ale. I've got a bit of time for something that's a little bigger that needs to condition, but have scrapped the belgian idea (nothing like Yuengling). Would an Alt be close? Any other thoughts?

BrewDey said:
Talked to my buddy who's on the Appalachian Trial. Now he's on pace to be back for the New England game (October 1) and has fallen in love with Yuengling during his time in Eastern PA...so I wanted to brew something along those lines, but in an ale. I've got a bit of time for something that's a little bigger that needs to condition, but have scrapped the belgian idea (nothing like Yuengling). Would an Alt be close? Any other thoughts?

You could brew this clone with a kolsch or CA common yeast:

http://www.tastybrew.com/brews/view/8

(I have never brewed this recipe, so I am not sure how close it is to the real thing)

BrewDey said:
has fallen in love with Yuengling during his time in Eastern PA...so I wanted to brew something along those lines, but in an ale.

Sorry to hear that ;) ....From my POV there are two things about "lager" that you will need to hit if someone is a fan; the sweetness and the light corn flavor for lack of a better description.

He should try Hoppy Trails from the Appalachian Brewing Company, that's awesome.

If you are going to brew a Yuengling like beer, best go get those corn grits ready.....SWMBO was there visiting family, took the tour, and told me she thought that was disgusting....I concurred

^^ That's my LHBS! They are great guys!

But no, I can't vouch for how it tastes, haven't made it

Back