To mill or not to mill, that is the question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George

Reaction score
I mill every malted grain that goes into my mash. I was a little surprised when a shop owner told me that he does not mill his wheat or rye, instead puts them uncracked in his mash. Has anyone heard of this before? Was I born yesterday, or is he crazy?

I don't think so. The context of the conversation was, as he was weighing out my malted wheat (grain form), that one of his customers complained of the difficulty of milling wheat. He had to take the drill off the mill and do it by hand because the drill couldn't do it. That's when he said that he just throws it in the mash. He does the same with rye. I wish he was talking about the flaked stuff, but I don't think so. Weird!

Well Im a self professed Rye lover and always mill my Rye as well as my wheat. I definately dont mill the flaked rye or wheat though, and have had tremendous success with both.

As for the guys drill not working, somethings definately wrong.

Back