Belgian Tripel Belgian Trippel (2006 World Beer Cup Gold Medal: Dragonmead Final Absolution clone)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bucfanmike - you should specify which yeast strain you are talking about. But, unless its a Belgian strain, I wouldn't bother. All the flavor comes from the yeast.

ahh good point, yeah i was just thinking of having a healthy amount of yeast. But as my blonde is using nottingham then it wont be a good idea.
Thanks for the save.

Just brewed this last night per the instructions in the original post, and it's now bubbling happily away. Probably the most excited I've been about a batch!

So my yeast started out relatively slow here, but 36 hours in I've never seen so much activity. Had to remove the airlock and run a blowoff this morning and got a dose of foam to the face when I took it out; glad I did it because I would have come home to a mess if I hadn't checked before leaving. I knew that I didn't leave enough headspace when I capped my fermenter, but didn't want to mess with the volume as the OG came out just where I wanted it on the first try.

So to get the point.

If after two weeks in primary the activity has died down substantially but the gravity is still too high, what are the steps to reactivate fermentation? I did my best to oxygenate the solution before pitching, but I obviously don't want to bottle this stuff if I only get it down to 1.020 or so. Can I just pitch more WLP500? Seems like it might not take off if there's not much oxygen in the wort, but seems like trying to aerate it so far into fermentation would be risky.

Any suggestions?

I made this brew with 7 lbs of light gold DME and 3.3 lbs of amber lme also with 1.5 lbsof Belgian dark candy. I did a 2.25 gallon boil (5gal total) batch but my OG came out to 1.63. Any ideas why? Followed typical protocol and measured before adding yeast... Thoughts?

How did you measure up to 1.63? You should have come out closer to 1.088 so if you mean 1.063 you're still a bit off. It was a measurement thing. Either you put in too little malt extract or you put in too much water.

Sorry I had been drinking and brewing.. I with 7 lbs of dme and 3.3 lme and 1.5 lbs of Belgian candy. Og was actually. 1.068. Was a total of 5 gallons in primary. I must have made a mistake somewhere I'm just not sure where.

I'm thinking about brewing something like this and bottling in fancy corked Belgium bottles as Christmas gifts. I brew AG, but think I'll do extract so I don't miss the OG.

When using well modified malt that is low in protein there isn't an absolute necessity to do a protein rest but it won't hurt either. It was a recipe with oats or wheat I'd definitely do a protein rest.

You'll come out darker than intended with a slightly different flavor. If you have the LME than go for it. I didn't by stick to the recipe exactly and I ended up with a fantastic beer.

I live in Alaska and am having a hard time spending more on shipping than the cost of the item(LME) what will the consequences and repercussions for using DME?

So I brewed this delicious looking beer, bottled it with 3/4 cup of cane sugar in 2 cups water maybe 2.5 weeks ago.

I have opened a few over the last week, including one last night, absolutely 0.00 carbonation. Should I just wait longer? What else can I do?

It was in the primary for 3 weeks, and secondary for 2. Was there just not enough yeast left in solution when I bottled?

TIA

You should be fine. It might take a bit longer to carb up. I had mine in the primary for 3 weeks then let it sit in the secondary for 4 weeks. It took mine around 4 weeks to start to carb up. So, no worries.
I brewed mine 6 months ago and can't believe how much better it tastes today than it did 3 months ago.

Just brewed this today. Only 9.15 lbs of northern brewer gold extract though. Hit the same gravity though. Can't wait!

Why is LME more popular than DME for this recipe? Conventional wisdom says DME will get a higher conversion and require less product does it not?

I am thinking of making this this weekend. I will make a 3L starter - will it be ok to just pitch it all or should I decant before pitching?

mcberry said:
I am thinking of making this this weekend. I will make a 3L starter - will it be ok to just pitch it all or should I decant before pitching?

Decanting is always a good idea, in the interest of keeping flavors as clean as possible.

I am brewing up the all grain version on this as I type... Looking forward to this one. So far I have hit everything spot on.

So far this has been one of the best brews I've made. Everyone who has tried it seems to like the flavor and the yeast profile.

fvjmlx.jpg

beerloaf

Just took a sample after 3 weeks in primary. I fermented this one kinda warm, smells spicy yet has a lot of fruity esters. The hops took a backseat in this one, however their presence is there. I finished at 1.013 and approx 9%, it certainly warms the back of your throat. I friggin can't wait for this one to be done.

I brewed this today. OG was 1.088.

1L starter of Wyeast 1214.

Only worry is that I ended up with about 6 gallons of wort in my 6 gallon better bottle. Just couldn't waste any, but might end up with a mess!

KCBigDog said:
I brewed this today. OG was 1.088.

1L starter of Wyeast 1214.

Only worry is that I ended up with about 6 gallons of wort in my 6 gallon better bottle. Just couldn't waste any, but might end up with a mess!

Blow off tube, no worries.

Mine has been in primary for 5 weeks. I can't wait to get an open keg... Better start drinking faster!

Hi Gang,

I am recently new to homebrewing...again. After a ten year hiatus, I've gotten the bug again. Currently have a DFH 60 minute IPA clone dry-hopping in the secondary. This beer is one of my favorites. It doesn't get near enough attention in the admittedly crowded Michigan micro-brew scene. I am planning on making this recipe my next batch but I have a basic question:

Is it preferable to do a full 60 min boil with all fermentables at once? If not, how would you recommend splitting it up?

Thanks,

Jody

Latest posts

Back