so no more simpsons?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hadabar

Reaction score
ive recently discovered that brewmasters warehouse is not going to carry simpsons crystal, and have switched to crisp. which does come in more variety. I was interested to see what you guys thought about the difference between the two. is there? I was always a big fan of simpsons malting. is this good or bad?

I've never had Simpsons or Crisp crystal, but I like the Crisp brand very much. Their Amber is good and the Maris Otter is YUM YUM!

I think you're going to find that most people don't really have an opinion one way or the other. Most people are shopping based on price and/or the retailer (eg - NB, AHS, BMWH, etc). My guess is that you won't notice much of a difference. They are crystal malts grown in arguably similar conditions. First, crystal malts typically don't make up the largest part of your grain bill. Second, I think that the real year to year, malster to maltster, and in some cases country to country variations in the same malts gets a little overblown. If you put C60 from the two different maltster into two beers with the same recipe, I think you'd be hard pressed to tell there was a difference in the beers that you could specifically pin on the crystal malts. IMO, the only people who are going to be able tell a difference, and more importantly care that they notice a difference, are people who are hardcore fans of one brand vs. another.

I love Simpsons but Crisp would be fine I'm sure. Just dodge Briess as far as crystal malts go IMO.

Back