Should I use S-04 or Nottingham for Jamils English Barleywine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used S-04 in my sweet potato ale and wasn't a huge fan of the esters it produced. However,in an English BW that might be what you're going for...

I used S-04 in my sweet potato ale and wasn't a huge fan of the esters it produced. However,in an English BW that might be what you're going for...

Yeah, the esters aren't really my concern, it's more attenuation, and yeast quality. I recently used Nottingham for a pumpkin beer, and it never took off. With that said, I'm sure Austin Homebrew Supply has pulled all of the bad Nottingham off of the shelves and assured that the new stuff is good, but I still have my doubts. I'm thinking I'm going to call them and check.

I brewed up a nice brown ale last week and used a fresh pack of notty I picked up at the LHBS and it took off like a rocket. Don't fear it :) US 05 would be a good choice as well.

Is US05 an option? It's real similar to Notty and I've never had an issue. It attenuates great.

US-05 is ALWAYS an option. It's my house strain and pretty much everything I brew minus Wheats/Belgians gets the US-05 treatment, but since I'm double pitching and just ran out of my washed US-05, I decided to go the cheap route and buy 2 packs of Nottingham for ~$3.

Here is what I've done with Jamils English Barleywine recipe. (I just ordered the ingredients an hour ago).

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: English Barleywine
Brewer: Jacob
Asst Brewer:
Style: English Barleywine
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 7.46 gal
Estimated OG: 1.113 SG