Easy Stovetop All-Grain Brewing (with pics)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A better option is decoction. I don't see why you can't do this like a normal mash tun requires, but will likely have its difficulties. The amount of time it takes for decoction is something you have to not only consider for your brewday, but for your mash tun and the rest as well. When taking off a portion of your mash to boil, the part that is left is going to cool faster, and for the time it takes to rest and boil the decoction, will loose temperature. You might be able to compensate for this by pulling a bigger decoction to make up for the loss, but knowing exactally how much will take practice.

Just brewed a Dunkelweizen the way the Germans do it. Rather than 3, I just went with the double decoction. What a PITA, but man was it worth it. Large amounts of dark wheat and munich (and a little 6 row) for the decoction worked very well. I came out with 84% efficiency, there is a nice mellow caramelization, and it smells great. I did in fact have problems with losing heat in my mash tun while I was resting and boiling the decoction. To comepensate for this, I blindly just took a little more than I thought I needed, and if necessary, applied a small amount of heat to the mahing kettle. They all turned out spot on for hitting my temps, and I got way more conversion than I thought I would from a grain bill with a large portion of munich.

I was told using decoctions would raise the efficiency, but man, that's 14% more than I'm used to. This will now turn into sort of a dunkelweizenbock esque beer, but did I mention it smells great?

DeathBrewer,

You mentioned ~10 lbs of grain as the max you would do with this method.

I just ordered two kits, one that's 11 lbs of grain (IPA), the other 10.5 lbs (ESB).

If I go with a 24 quart SS pot to handle the greater volume, what other issues should I pay special attention to when going with more grain than your recommended range?

Looking forward to trying this out for my first two AG attempts.

DeathBrewer,

I just ordered two kits, one that's 11 lbs of grain (IPA), the other 10.5 lbs (ESB).

If I go with a 24 quart SS pot to handle the greater volume, what other issues should I pay special attention to when going with more grain than your recommended range?

In a 22 qt. kettle, I've got away with like 12 lbs. You should be fine, you might be on the thick side of mashing, but for an IPA that isn't too bad. 10.5 will fit in no problem with a thinner mash. Use the calculators that Deathbrewer posts to calculate volumes and such, they are pretty spot on.

If you really want to make bigger beers with this method, just throw some extract in at the end of the boil to increase the gravity. The porportions are so heavy on the grain, that you won't even really taste the extract.

Well the good news is that I now have my first all-grain brew in the fermenter, waiting for the yeast to take over.

The bad news is that brew day did not go well. First off, holding 10lbs of grain bag is really really hard. Secondly, I seriously miscalculated my sparge water, ending up with way too much, so I had to scoop some out before I could put the sparge bag in. Then, I still ended up with too much so I had to wait for some to boil off before I could put all the wort back in the main put. Finally, I still ended up somewhere .5->1 gallon too much for the batch.

So depending on how much over 5 gallons I was, I ended up with somewhere between 56% (5 gal) and 67% (6 gal) efficiency. I'm probably in the middle.

I got the blow-off tube setup, since now my primary doesn't have much head space at all!

I'm sort of torn as to whether I'll try this method again. Obviously I messed up with the sparge quantity, and next time, I'll under-sparge and top off the boil as needed. But the killer thing is just the weight of the 10lb grain bag - and that's only 10 lbs (although, I'd be nervous about going over 10lbs, that was already really close in a 5 gal pot with 1.3 q/lb). I think without a colander that I can balance on my pot, holding the grain bag just isn't the way to go...

So I dunno. I suppose if it ends up tasting amazing I'll try it again. Otherwise, the partial mash might be my technique of choice.

Well the good news is that I now have my first all-grain brew in the fermenter, waiting for the yeast to take over.

The bad news is that brew day did not go well. First off, holding 10lbs of grain bag is really really hard. Secondly, I seriously miscalculated my sparge water, ending up with way too much, so I had to scoop some out before I could put the sparge bag in. Then, I still ended up with too much so I had to wait for some to boil off before I could put all the wort back in the main put. Finally, I still ended up somewhere .5->1 gallon too much for the batch.

So depending on how much over 5 gallons I was, I ended up with somewhere between 56% (5 gal) and 67% (6 gal) efficiency. I'm probably in the middle.

I got the blow-off tube setup, since now my primary doesn't have much head space at all!

I'm sort of torn as to whether I'll try this method again. Obviously I messed up with the sparge quantity, and next time, I'll under-sparge and top off the boil as needed. But the killer thing is just the weight of the 10lb grain bag - and that's only 10 lbs (although, I'd be nervous about going over 10lbs, that was already really close in a 5 gal pot with 1.3 q/lb). I think without a colander that I can balance on my pot, holding the grain bag just isn't the way to go...

So I dunno. I suppose if it ends up tasting amazing I'll try it again. Otherwise, the partial mash might be my technique of choice.
Start lifting some weight? Just kidding.

What about using two grain bag? You separate them in 5 lbs and 5 lbs bag. That will be easier to lift, no doubt about it.

Jigidyjim, did you use a mash paddle underneath the bag to help you hold it as DeathBrewer shows in his pics on the first page? That makes a world of difference for me.

Jigidyjim, did you use a mash paddle underneath the bag to help you hold it as DeathBrewer shows in his pics on the first page? That makes a world of difference for me.

I have a metal brewing spoon - i tried using it for a second but it didn't help much, so I gave up, maybe too early. I think the issue was that the grain bag just fell over the side of the spoon and back into the mash, so it didn't seem like it was helping drain the bag at all.

As for lifting weights... I was shocked at how heavy it was! I swear, it gained about 50 lbs in water :)

While I am not "big" by any measure, I do a lot of physical labor. After two of these grain bag all grain brews, I know that I don't want to hold that bag full of wet grain for an extended period. That sucker is HEAVY!

Next time, use a 3' piece of 2x4 or 1x4. That should do a much better job of supporting the grain bag than a large spoon.

Just use a large strainer. It will sit on the top of the kettle and you just have to initially lift the grain bag onto that, and just let it sit. After my first BIAB, I went looking for one at Goodwill.

A tip that may help people not able to hold the bag long enough: move the pot to the floor and lift/drain from there. Stand with the pot between your spread legs and lift with your legs/back.

I used this method yesterday and I was able to hold 11lb of grains for 5+ minutes without any fatigue. Even my GF was able to hold the bag of wet grain without any problem. Did this twice and since you can use your much stronger back and legs its much much easier.

You do have to move hot wort to the floor and back to stove, but this is much easier and less messy since it is just a brief move and you can put a lid on it.

While it may say "Stovetop All-Grain" there is nothing forcing you from moving stuff to the floor.

Cool, I tried this method on my first AG batch last night.

The instructions included with the ESB kit called for 1.054 OG and I hit 1.052 OG. Good enough for my first attempt. Don't know what efficiency that comes to...

My temperature dropped from 154 deg to 150 deg F during mashing. I stirred once at the 30 min mark. I'll have to do a better job of insulating the brew pot. The colander worked great for draining the grain.

I also tried foam control drops for the first time which worked like a charm.

Overall, it was an uneventful evening, which is all you can ask for.

Set the pot on a folded towel on your countertop, wrap it with another towel, then place another folded towel on top. That's what I do, and it works very well for holding my mash temp.

Sounds like your efficiency is great!

Here's a tip I've been using with this method that took my efficiency from 55% to almost 70% (may have been mentioned in this thread already), but I'm using two drip trays to hold the bag of mashed grains after sparging.

After lifting/holding over the mash pot and sparging, I plop it down in a large drip tray. After about 15 minutes, I move it to the 2nd drip tray, and pour the drippings from the first into the boil pot. At some point I then remove the bag from the 2nd tray and add those drippings as well.

It helps if the drip tray is angled down slightly so the drippings collect on one side.

I collect probably 3-4 cups of dark-colored (so I'm assuming sugary) wort this way that I was losing before. My efficiency improved a lot!

Sorry, posted by accident, can't figure out how to delete.

Great thread though, was very helpful for my first AG BIAB.

Here's a tip I've been using with this method that took my efficiency from 55% to almost 70% (may have been mentioned in this thread already), but I'm using two drip trays to hold the bag of mashed grains after sparging.

After lifting/holding over the mash pot and sparging, I plop it down in a large drip tray. After about 15 minutes, I move it to the 2nd drip tray, and pour the drippings from the first into the boil pot. At some point I then remove the bag from the 2nd tray and add those drippings as well.

It helps if the drip tray is angled down slightly so the drippings collect on one side.

I collect probably 3-4 cups of dark-colored (so I'm assuming sugary) wort this way that I was losing before. My efficiency improved a lot!

Good tip.

I found my efficiency improved to a consistent 80-85% when I paid more attention to this step:

- Stirring, stirring, and stirring some more. Actually, i use a potato masher to really make sure you get all those tiny lumps out. This works best if your mash-in temp is 5 degrees too high. You just stir until you reach your target, then lid for the mash. Massively improved my efficiency. I do not even hold my grain bag for more than 45 seconds and I still get this, all from the extra stirring.

DeathBrewer,

If I may chime in, I do 15 pound grain bills or more using DBs method. I get at least 80% efficiency consistently, using 20 qt aluminum pot. Except, I use TWO 20 qt pots. It is easier than you think to mash in both at the same time. Just tackle one at a time until you reach your target temp. I find if I try to stuff too thick of a mash in one pot my efficiency goes down alot. Those pots are cheap at a thrift/second hand store.

Just my 2 bits.

Good tip.

I found my efficiency improved to a consistent 80-85% when I paid more attention to this step:

- Stirring, stirring, and stirring some more. Actually, i use a potato masher to really make sure you get all those tiny lumps out. This works best if your mash-in temp is 5 degrees too high. You just stir until you reach your target, then lid for the mash. Massively improved my efficiency. I do not even hold my grain bag for more than 45 seconds and I still get this, all from the extra stirring.

I'm assuming you mean 45 minutes here, or I am reading this wrong.
:mug:

i just followed this method and got 80% efficiency. previously i was pouring the sparge water over the grains and getting like 65%... im a happy camper now! just did a two hearted clone with yeast i harvested from a six pack..

oh i forgot to mention i trap my bag in my overhead microwave and let it drain into my boil pot for a little, then i move the boil pot to the burner to start my boil and put a pyrex cup underneath the bag and i usually collect 2 cups more after awhile, then i add that to the boil.

I thought he meant he only holds the grains for 45 seconds to drain it and that's it. I could be wrong though.

That's what I thought as well, but when DB commented I went back and he states waiting the 45 seconds before mash. Stirring for 45 seconds?

I think the original comment was to let as much of the grain loose liquid weight as possible. I normally let it draing for a few seconds and discard it. Perhaps I won't next time. I was told to watch out for tannins when grabbing as much of that grain liquid as I can. It was to my understanding that any tannins that would be presnt would be in the grain, and can be squeezed out. Not reference to back that up though.

That's very debatable...I personally don't think it's necessary...just pour some extra water over the top if you want to get the last bit out.

I agree, I was talking about after sparge rinsing the grain, that I didn't think squeezing the grains was necessary, and could possibly lead to tannin extraction

I'm assuming you mean 45 minutes here, or I am reading this wrong.
:mug:

No mang, seriously 45 seconds. I drain for a maximum of 45 seconds using the method you quote on this thread (Grrrrrrrrreat photo instructions BTW, you kickass).

I got 80-85% efficiency since I started stirring very well, and I drain my bag for between 30 & 45 SECONDS

I think I'm going to try this come Saturday or Sunday :) -- thanks for the guide

Hope my AG adventure turns out as well as my PM, wonder if it really does make that much difference.

I think I'm going to try this come Saturday or Sunday :) -- thanks for the guide

Hope my AG adventure turns out as well as my PM, wonder if it really does make that much difference.

My only AG so far is already a memory and it's a legend in my own mind :) I was drinking a Yeti tonight and was thinking to myself "self, that imperial stout you made was really more fun to drink than this".

I have a real hard time hitting a boil on my stove so until I get a better setup (electric brew kettle in the works) I'm sticking with extract + specialty grains. I have the same recipe stout in extract with grains form in the kitchen now and I think I'll brew it this weekend. It's too bad I don't have any of my AG stouts left to compare it to :D

I did a 2.5 and 5 gal batch of the same recipe using this method. Target gravity 1.056 and both times ended up at 1.046 SG.

This last time I used about 1.14 qt/lb for the mash (10.5 lbs grain, and 3 gals water) since I'd never done a 5 gal AG with my 5gal stainless pot. Sparge water volume was the same. mash temp was 155 and sparge strike was 190 dropped to 170 once the grain was in and stirred.

I'm thinking it's the amount of mash water that's the issue with hitting TG?

Maybe your mash temp is too high? I targeted 154 and nailed 154, it had dropped to 152 by the end, but I opened and stirred about 4-5 times.

Maybe your mash temp is too high? I targeted 154 and nailed 154, it had dropped to 152 by the end, but I opened and stirred about 4-5 times.

I suppose that's possible, from what I've read mash goes up to 159 or so? Also, it was 155 for 30 mins, then the last 30 I couldn't get it over about 150. Dunno if that matters.

I did a 2.5 and 5 gal batch of the same recipe using this method. Target gravity 1.056 and both times ended up at 1.046 SG.

This last time I used about 1.14 qt/lb for the mash (10.5 lbs grain, and 3 gals water) since I'd never done a 5 gal AG with my 5gal stainless pot. Sparge water volume was the same. mash temp was 155 and sparge strike was 190 dropped to 170 once the grain was in and stirred.

I'm thinking it's the amount of mash water that's the issue with hitting TG?

You could try using 1.33 qt/lb or even 1.5 qt/lb if you have a large percentage of base malt. Make sure you are correcting your specific gravity if you are measuring at over 70F.

It's looking like it's the amount of water I used. 1.14 qt/gal is a bit low. If I goto 3.5 gals mas, that is 1.33 qt/gal.

Great thread, inspired my first post. I'm planning on using this method for a partial mash this weekend. My question is around the amount of water used. The recipe has 3lbs of grain and 6.6lbs of extract for a 4gal batch. Using the formula's above i would need less than 1gal water. I'm not sure that will be enough to submerge all the grains. I'm planning on using 1.5gal water. Are there any issues with using 2x water? Also, what type of temp adjustments should I make with the higher water ratio?

Back