Superbowl Food?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheesefood

Reaction score
What's everyone making for the Superbowl? Whether you like the teams or not, I'll bet most of you are planning special meals or get-togethers.

I've got some recipes I'm going to try out:

Nacho Crusted Ribs
Steak Kebobs (with special marinades)
And maybe a Take Two at a crab and artichoke dip.

We're making wings, I know that much.

But since it'll just be the three of us, we won't be making a huge effort. Wings, some starchy kind of potato probably and hopefully some munchies for during the game.

oh yeah... and BEER!

I think we're having corned beef sandwiches, some wings, hot dog croissants, salsa.... not sure what else

We're going to an annual Superbowl party at a friends house, they usually do the following:

BBQ Wings
Buffalo Wings
Lil' Smokies
Reuben Dip
Chips n' Salsa
Swedish Meatballs
... aaand! Lots, and lots of alcohol. :ban:

Should be a good time; last year was pretty snazzy.

Ugh, I think I have an ulcer so probably nothing special. I haven't had a beer in 6 days or any hot sauce in 5 days.

I only use my superbowl for bread making and popcorn. Lacking a TV, cable, dish or any interest in watching big sweaty guys in too much padding play rough with each other ...

Usually it's Chicken Wings, Cheese Sticks, Jalapeno Poppers, but this year it starts about 7AM our time, so maybe we'll just get some doughnuts.

I'm not nearly as much into football as my sons are, so I am considering brewing during the game. It takes forever for my stove to start boiling, so I probably won't miss much.

Cheesefood said:
And maybe a Take Two at a crab and artichoke dip.

How about making the crab and artichoke dips separately? IMHO the two don't really go together that well (the artichokes tend to overpower the crab).

Here's a good artichoke dip recipe:

1 Cup Cheddar Cheese (shredded)
1 Cup Swiss Cheese (shredded)
3/4 Cup Mayonnaise
1/4 Cup Green Onions (chopped)
1-14 oz. Can Artichoke Hearts (drained)
1/4 Tsp. Lemon Pepper

Cut artichoke hearts in small pieces. Combine with rest of ingredients. Heat at 400° until bubbly.

Serve with tortilla chips or rye chips (like Pinahs)

I'm having a small party at my place, and the chef who teaches my wife's cooking class is coming over to cook for us.

Nothing froofoo, tough; Made-to-order pizza's, wings, ribs, and kettle potato chips.

-walker

:off:
PS: A not-so-funny side story is that I ordered a 42" plasma TV about three weeks ago and paid for 3-5 day shipping on it. I do NOT have it yet. It arrived with a shattered screen after 3 days and we put it right back on the delivery truck and refused delivery (as per the company's explicit instructions.) Since then, the situation has collapsed into a steaming pile of **** and we've been yanked around for the last 2 weeks.

The company I bought it from must specialize in theoretical physics, because my TV seems to be both everywhere and nowhere all at the same time. It's amazing stuff to see.

PPS: Never buy a TV from www.drplasma.com. My nightmare is what you get when you try to save a few hundred bucks with some janky online place that uses 3rd party shipping.

Walker-san said:
PS: A not-so-funny side story is that I ordered a 42" plasma TV about three weeks ago and paid for 3-5 day shipping on it. I do NOT have it yet. It arrived with a shattered screen after 3 days and we put it rightback on the delivery truck and refused delivery (as per the company's explicit instructions.) Since then, the situation has collapsed into a steaming pile of **** and we've been yanked around for the last 2 weeks.

The company I bought it from must specialize in theoretical physics, because my TV is seems to be both everywhere and nowhere all at the same time. It's amazing stuff to see.

PPS: Never buy a TV from www.drplasma.com. My nightmare is what you get when you try to save a few hundred bucks with some janky online place that uses 3rd party shipping.

Ah man, that sucks! I traded my permission to buy World Series tickets last year for a HD TV. I actually went and picked it up from the store because I didn't want to take any chances - went and swapped out my cable box too.

On the smoker(s):
6 racks of baby backs
2 racks of cherryaki baby backs
2 pork butts
1 beef brisket

On Tap:

1 log Brooklyn Pilsner
5 gallons SC Dark Lager
Whats left of Cheesefood CCA

:rockin:

You can make a killer dip with a couple logs of Velveeta, a can or two of hot picante, and a tube of hot Jimmy Dean sausage. Brown the sausage, and throw it all in the crock pot.

I will make some chicken wings (2 dozen) that will blow your doors off. I take about 2 beers(homebrew of course) mix with BBQ sauce, several different hot sauces with MEGA DEATH being the Sauce that makes the experience great but painful, so painful that you get to enjoy it the next day. I'll grill the wings the evening before the game then a few hours before the Super Bowl I'll put them in a crock pot with the "BREW". OUCH!! Top it off with a couple of my IPA's and we'll be set.

SwAMi75 said:
You can make a killer dip with a couple logs of Velveeta, a can or two of hot picante, and a tube of hot Jimmy Dean sausage. Brown the sausage, and throw it all in the crock pot.

Man, you have no idea how good that sounds right about now. :cross:

I was planning absolutely nothing, but that may have just been added to the menu. :mug:

Ize

SwAMi75 said:

Velveeta. :( Millions of Wisconsinites just vomited.

I want the recipe for your baked beans.

Walker-san said:
The company I bought it from must specialize in theoretical physics, because my TV seems to be both everywhere and nowhere all at the same time. It's amazing stuff to see.

Scroedinger's Flatscreen, eh?

My contribution to Super Bowl parties has always been either chili or my bean dip.

I too use the bright yellow "log o'cheese...er...food" like Swami as a base, then add a jar of my favorite salsa, a can of refried bean (refried black beans work great too, just substitute the green chiles with either vinegar or a really vinegary hot sauce), and a can of diced green chiles. Just heat it all together and keep warm in a fondue pot or mini crock pot.

Also, hot dogs have been added by request when I do the chili for well, chili dogs...

:cross:

Walker-san said:
Yet... nobody seems to care.

:rockin:

LOL :D

Hey, I'm all about teh cheese. If you want to try and melt down a wheel of Wisconsin's finest sharp cheddar in a crock pot and dip your chips in it, be my guest. Let me know how that turns out!

Velveeta has its place in the food chain. It's somewhere between potted meat and grape "drink." I can live with that. :D

*craves pickled egg*

SwAMi75 said:
LOL :D

Hey, I'm all about teh cheese. If you want to try and melt down a wheel of Wisconsin's finest sharp cheddar in a crock pot and dip your chips in it, be my guest. Let me know how that turns out!

Velveeta has its place in the food chain. It's somewhere between potted meat and grape "drink." I can live with that. :D

*craves pickled egg*

Velveeta mixes great with the other Wisconsin foodstuff, Hormel Chili.

Now, before we all start on the anti Velveeta kick, let's remember just exactly what it is.

Take a CLOSER look at the package.

cheesefood.jpg

Cheesefood said:
Velveeta mixes great with the other Wisconsin foodstuff, Hormel Chili.

Now, before we all start on the anti Velveeta kick, let's remember just exactly what it is.

Take a CLOSER look at the package.

cheesefood.jpg

Pastuerized and processed? :confused:

Typical American garble speak. "processed cheese-food" that's been pasteurized.

I wonder what hurt worse, the processing or the pasteurizing? :drunk:

Cheese? ;)

Ize

Ize said:
Typical American garble speak. "processed cheese-food" that's been pasteurized.

I wonder what hurt worse, the processing or the pasteurizing? :drunk:

Cheese? ;)

Ize

Being sent out to pasteur.

Having a party at my house here's the spread

Phil's Bomb A$$ Chili (w/ homemade Habanero Hot Sauce for the people who want the extra kick)
Chicken Wings with Thai Peanut, Honey BBQ, Orange Ginger, and Classic Wing sauces
Cheese Dip
Smoked Sausages
And of couse lots of brew

Huge assortment of crackers, cheeses, and of course one big azz salami. My late morning will literaly be spent cutting the cheese.
Then shredding some fresh mozzarella for the homemade pizzas come gametime.
We're going to crisp up some pita bread and we have 3 varieties of humus as dip.
Of course chips y salsa. Whats a football game without that?

I'm a noob, so my homebrew is still on its way, but I'll be drinking Two Brothers Cane & Ebel primarily. Once thats gone I've got some Two Brothers Heavy Handed IPA, some Maudite, and some Sam Adams brown Ale. I should be set.

Latest posts

Back