Setting up my keg tonight. Need help.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julohan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I kegged a cream ale with priming sugar about 3 weeks ago. Stored it at 70 degrees. I did not have any kegging equipment at the time. I did not know I had to add CO2 when naturally carbing. So I got everything last night. I pretty much have it set up. It is a two tap dual regulator. After school, I will go fill up my CO2 tank. What are the next steps to tank, for carbing the keg and putting it on the tap?

If it has carbonation already, you should be all set. But just to make sure, chill the keg for 24 hours, then attach your CO2 line, turn the pressure up to 25-30 psi, and rock the keg back and forth. Once you stop hearing the CO2 going into the keg, it's good. Then lower the pressure to around 5-10 psi, disconnect the CO2 line, release the pressure in the keg, and then hook everything up, and pour.

Me, I would just hit it with 10psi and see what comes out (assuming it is chilled). If it is not carbed enough, try the 30psi and rocking.

How long and what diameter is your serving line? If it is short and large diameter, hit it with 5 psi instead of 10. Less foaming that way.

Haha- here is yet a different opinion!

Purge the keg, because you may probably have more than 12 psi or so in there, and hooking it up to your line without releasing this pressure can cause beer to backflow into your regulator, ruining it before you even get started. Then, hook it up and drink!

So,
1. Purge
2. Stick in kegerator
3. Put the gas (gray) QD on the "in" and set the regulator to 8-12 psi. (start lower, since you have short lines)
4. Hook up the beer (black) QD on the "out".
5. Chill and let settle
6. Sample (try to wait about 1/2 hour so some of the yeast cake will settle down, so that only the first 1/2 glass is yeasty)

Haha- here is yet a different opinion!

Purge the keg, because you may probably have more than 12 psi or so in there, and hooking it up to your line without releasing this pressure can cause beer to backflow into your regulator, ruining it before you even get started. Then, hook it up and drink!

So,
1. Purge
2. Stick in kegerator
3. Put the gas (gray) QD on the "in" and set the regulator to 8-12 psi. (start lower, since you have short lines)
4. Hook up the beer (black) QD on the "out".
5. Chill and let settle
6. Sample (try to wait about 1/2 hour so some of the yeast cake will settle down, so that only the first 1/2 glass is yeasty)

here is yet a different opinion!

If the OP does indeed have check valves like the link in post #4 I don't think you have to worry about backflow.

That said I think I'd
  1. put the keg in the fridge overnight first, as the beer cools it will adsorb some of the co2 from the headspace plus stuff that might get disturbed from moving the keg around will settle down.
  2. then purge the headspace and hook up the co2 at 8 -10 psi since the hoses are only 5'
  3. sample
  4. repeat step 3 as necessary

Nah, here are your steps:

1) Put keg in fridge, wait 24 hours
2) Hook up beer out side, pull a pint. This will release any built up pressure. If it comes out like crazy, pull another until it calms down. If its slow or normal, move to step 3
3) Hook up gas in
4) If it was really slow or not at all in step2, you are not carbed enough. You can wait awhile (several days to a week or so), force carb with lots of psi (not recommended unless you are desperate), or drink it like it is.
5) Invite friends over and have a party.

If it has carbonation already, you should be all set. But just to make sure, chill the keg for 24 hours, then attach your CO2 line, turn the pressure up to 25-30 psi, and rock the keg back and forth. Once you stop hearing the CO2 going into the keg, it's good. Then lower the pressure to around 5-10 psi, disconnect the CO2 line, release the pressure in the keg, and then hook everything up, and pour.

I am not a fan of rocking the keg, I did it twice, and overcarbed both times. My process...

1: seat the lid with 30PSI
2: disconnect gas, and chill overnight
3: reconnect gas at 30PSI for 48hours
4: disconnect gas, bleed off pressure in the keg
5: reset regulator to serving pressure (10-12psi for me)
6: reconnect gas, and let sit for 2-7 days
7: get drunk

if I have 3 other kegs being served at the time I add a new keg, I simply connect gas at serving pressure and let it sit for 2-3 weeks

when naturally carbing...
1: add priming sugar and close lid
2: apply 30psi to seat the lid, then purge headspace
3: put in brewcloset for 3 weeks
4: put in keezer for 24-48 hours to chill
5: bleed pressure from keg
6: apply serving pressure for 24 hours
7: get drunk

7 is my favorite number.

1. Naturally carb with sugar (3weeks)
2. Place in fridge for 24hrs or more.
3. Pull vent valve a couple times unless it's spewing liquid.
4. Shut off gas valve on tank, or manifold, or in-line valve.
5. Connect keg to gas, turn on gas valve.
6. Adjust reg to 5-8psi. No need for 30psi.
7. Connect liquid line.
8. Draw sample, adjust reg again if neccessary.
9. Savor.

OK, looking back at this thread what you should probably take from this is that there's no exact right answer. Everyone has their reasons for their methods. The truth is, its pretty unlikely you will totally screw it up so just do what you think is best.

In your case, the only word of caution for you is that it might be pretty heavily carbonated already so just be aware of that.

Everyone has their reasons for their methods. The truth is, its pretty unlikely you will totally screw it up so just do what you think is best.

very true! Try a couple of the methods people listed, you may like one method over another, and may even be happy with a mix of the listed methods.

Back