Refrigerator getting too cold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjk49202

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a frige and bent the freezer down and there is plent of space to fit my keg and CO2 tank. Problem is that when I leave it running, even on the minimum level, the temperature gets way too cold. We are talking 20F cold. There was a coated wire that I assumed to be a thermocouple of some sort and bent it along with the freezerplate. That didn't help any though. Is there some way to remedy this? Thanks in advance.

Just bought a Ranco through Ranco ETC. Good service and quick delivery. Can't say enough about those guys. One thing though, try to get the "prewired" version if possible. The time and frustration this saves is worth the extra bucks paid.

Just bought a Ranco through Ranco ETC. Good service and quick delivery. Can't say enough about those guys. One thing though, try to get the "prewired" version if possible. The time and frustration this saves is worth the extra bucks paid.

yea there really not that diffucult to wire but it is a pain in the ass. You have to go out and get an extension cord to chop up and use for the plug. I did it and it worked fine but if your not electrically proficient i would recomend just buying it wired as well. Heres the wiring diagram to give you an idea of what you have instore.
http://www.rancoetc.com/manuals/ranco_etc_instructions.pdf

It seems like going this route for a one tap 4 cf frige may be a bit too steep pricewise. Not to mention I don't really get the whole hook up of the piece of equipment. So if I get a pre wired one it would have the plug to the wall but still need to hook it up to the frige itself to control the temp?

exactly. Female wall outlet to ranco male, then there is a female plug which comes out of the ranco and you plug the fridges male plug into that..,..make sense?

I picked up the unwired analog johnson model for $34 shipped off the bay last week. Wiring it in took a bit of extension cord that I already had, three wire nuts and some electrical tape.

Here is the diagram I used (I have a chamber built with a dehumidifier, but similar)...I'd imagine the ranco is very similar. Don't forget to ground the case!

controllerwiring.jpg

I have the same problem as the OP.
So I went and got the Ranco...but I still have a problem.

After putting about 4 thermometers in the little fridge, I find that when the top is at 38* the bottom is at around 0* (ETC set at 40). After I fiddled with the ETC to get the bottom at 35* the top was sitting at roughly 50*

I was considering getting a little fan in there to cirulate the cold air up, but I'm not that sure it would matter.

Suggestions?

if you put a computer fan in there on a cell phone power supply it would be enough to circulate the air and get an even temp

Latest posts

Back