crap. I forgot to oxygenate the wort!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snailsongs

Reaction score
.........I even siphoned 1/2 of it before I got sick of waiting and just dumped the rest through a funnel (at least that should add a minimal amount of oxygen).....this was about 6 hours ago....can I go back now and shake the crap out of the carboy or is it too late? there's zero activity and the wort is settled right now. if it makes a difference it's been at about 61F since pitch time.

If you pitched a dry yeast or a yeast starter, you don't have a problem. But, you can go ahead and shake it up or sanitize your bottling bucket, dump it in (and I mean dump), whip it good, then funnel it back to the carboy.

If you pitched a dry yeast or a yeast starter, you don't have a problem. But, you can go ahead and shake it up or sanitize your bottling bucket, dump it in (and I mean dump), whip it good, then funnel it back to the carboy.

x2.

A less effective but easier way to do it would be to take something like a pancake turner or something, sanitize that, and use it to beat the wort awhile. I'd use the dumping method though.

Are you talking about oxygenating with a wand and pure o2, or an aquarium pump?

If you siphoned and it splashed into your primary and then poured through a funnel (w/screen) and got some more splashing I would say you were decently oxygenated. If you siphoned "quietly" then that could be more of an issue.

also, its full boils that really need good oxygenation. if this was a partial boil, topped off with pure water, the water had oxygen in it too.

i wouldn't worry too much.

I based my recommendation on the OP's intention to shake the carboy. If he had O2 and a wand or a pump, he'd be asking about those methods.

It's fine. Shake it if you want, but don't worry about it. Unless it's a really big beer, there will be plenty of yeast.

I'd shake it anyway, the first couple of days. Keep those yeast busy :D

Oxygen is necessary for the yeast to multiply. It sounds like you have *some* O2 in the wort. So you have some multiplication of yeast, and a bunch more anaerobic fermentation.

What this seems to mean is that the fermentation might take a little longer.

As someone wrote: Relax, Don't Worry, Have A Home Brew.

Just chill out, RDWHAHB. There will be plenty of O2 to keep the yeasties busy. 6 hours isn't long to see action in your primary. To keep you sane, I pitched a re-hydrated dry yeast into a Belgian brew and didn't see any action for about 12 hours. Then it went off the charts. Chances are you are reading these posts with a happily bubbling primary. All brews / yeasts behave differently. If it makes you feel better, go and shake your primary. It's all mental, and the yeasties are in control. What you brewing for your next batch? ;)

I used to never oxygenate until I read palmer's book in 06. I usually brew around 4-6 abv without issue.

It's fine. Shake it if you want, but don't worry about it. Unless it's a really big beer, there will be plenty of yeast.

I'd shake it anyway, the first couple of days. Keep those yeast busy :D

It's your Rye Recipe, actually :D......(BTW, I got worse efficiency than I normally do, too....is it something to do with the rye?)

I did shake it some, and at hour 18 or so it's bubbling slow and steady, picking up the pace. I made a 1qt starter of 3068 for this....I was just worried because instead of splashing the wort, I siphoned a good bit of it quietly....I'm not even sure why I did this, I have always just dumped everything into the fermentor in the past with good results, I guess I felt I needed to add some more equipment and complication to my brew day....rdwhahb is probably right.:mug:

since you made a starter you dont really need to aerate the wort all that much if any, the reproduction of the yeast was done in the starter.

It's your Rye Recipe, actually :D......(BTW, I got worse efficiency than I normally do, too....is it something to do with the rye?)

I did shake it some, and at hour 18 or so it's bubbling slow and steady, picking up the pace. I made a 1qt starter of 3068 for this....I was just worried because instead of splashing the wort, I siphoned a good bit of it quietly....I'm not even sure why I did this, I have always just dumped everything into the fermentor in the past with good results, I guess I felt I needed to add some more equipment and complication to my brew day....rdwhahb is probably right.:mug:

With a starter, there are plenty of yeast in there...a short reproductive phase is not a big deal. When i made the roggenbier, I just used a vial, no starter at all. RDWHAHB ;)

Assuming you used malted rye, it was definitely the cause for low efficiency. It doesn't have husks and won't pop open with a regualar crush, so you pretty much need to shred it. It absorbs a lot of water, too. I'm sure it will still be tasty :)

Back