Maybe a good deal on an second regulator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david_42

Reaction score
American Science & Surplus is calling this a 4-way CO2 splitter, it isn't. Perlick regulator

I've contact AS&S and they say it is a Perlick 40115. This is a secondary regulator. The primary side takes 20-60 PSI CO2 (one port in, one for daisy chaining) from a primary regulator, the secondary ports are for a guage and supply to a keg or keg manifold. You would need to buy a guage for each one, but you could have separate pressures on all of your cornies for about 1/2 the cost of high pressure regulators.

I have a keg of soda water in my kegger that runs are 30 PSI, so I think I'll buy two of these and some guages, so I can run multiple pressures

could you explain it a bit more please? the picture that is provided doesn't help much, and i've never seen anything like that before.

thanks!

In a large commercial setup, you don't want to run full CO2 tank pressure all over the place, so you use a standard regulator to supply 100 PSI CO2. This lets you use cheaper hose and fittings every where else. The pictured regulator reduces the 100 PSI intermediate pressure to whatever you need for a keg, be it 30 psi for soda or 10 psi for ale.

I plan on using two of these inside my kegger, one for the soda keg and one for the ale manifold. I'll move the CO2 bottle and standard regulator outside the kegger, so it's easier to check.

Yah, I plan on mounting the secondaries on the inside of the door, right next to the manifold.

Ooo-- I really like that idea-- inside the door. I've discovered that in my little kegerator the dual regulator I'm using can get in the way when the ridge is really full and it can be really hard to read the regulators back there when adjusting it at a party.

so does each one of these secondary regulators have four outputs? or is it two outputs with two gauge ports?

Maybe I'm reading it wrong but that looks like a standard regulator body configuration. 1 high pressure input, 1 high pressure gauge port/output, 1 low pressure gauge location and 1 low pressure output.

OOOOHHHH. i get it now. i see it. thanks for the help.

edit - where is the best place to buy gauges and the threaded piping between each regulator body?

so i decided to upgrade my system with these secondary regulators today, so i re-found this thread to get a secondary. and when i get the page, they are on sale! less than 10 per regulator body! so i bought two instead of one. haha. just thought i'd update this thread on it.

I've got them in the kegger, and they are working great. It's so nice to have soda, ale & cider all at the correct pressures.

Just a heads up - American Science has these on sale for $5.75 each, and it looks like they are trying to get rid of their stock - they have them listed as "Must Go", so they may not be available for much longer.

Jester369 said:
Just a heads up - American Science has these on sale for $5.75 each, and it looks like they are trying to get rid of their stock - they have them listed as "Must Go", so they may not be available for much longer.

Sweet deal! Just picked up two, when I get back to the States I plan on building up a multi-keg system and this is a very cheap way to go. Will just have to order some gauges and nipples and everything should be set. Thanks to the original poster as well!

Denny's Evil Concotions said:
As I just mentioned in another thread regarding these. They only ship to US addresses. I was all set to buy 3. :(

Well, that just sucks! Tell you what, I ordered 3 and they should be arriving any day. I'll weight them up and see what it would cost to send them to you, and if the price is right, I'll order 3 more and forward them to you.

Can anyone that has previously purchased these confim that they do, in fact, have 7/16" ports? That seems like a really odd size

Thanks,
Steve

Jester369 said:
Well, that just sucks! Tell you what, I ordered 3 and they should be arriving any day. I'll weight them up and see what it would cost to send them to you, and if the price is right, I'll order 3 more and forward them to you.

That would be most excellent.

As I just posted in that other multi reg thread.. I would be willing to paypal moola to someone who could do this for me. I need at least two, 3 would be great.

They're standard 1/4 inch ports. Just checked mine at the hardware store and am building an order on McMaster.com as I type this...

buy fast, they won't last I don't think.

kvh

Hey all - thought you'd like to check out a pic of my new 3-regulator set up. I might have a thing or two to change on here down the road, and the shut-off / check valves from northern brewer aren't in yet, but the rest of the parts from McMaster all fit like a dream. Thought I'd share the part numbers with all of you...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8503402@N08/545278347/

oh, and total bill when all the bits come in is approx. $130.
kvh

i would do a thorough leak inspection of that quick disconnect gas coupling to make sure it seals well.

I plan on it. I wanted to be able to swap out co2 tanks without going crazy on the connection. We'll see.

kvh

i plan on making a 4 co2 regulator manifold for my kegorator, i purchased the regulators from SA and they are all corroded and used looking anyone else have this problem?

also where do you get the gauges come from?!?!?

My regulators had rusted screw heads (the pressure adjustment screw) but everything else looked unused. Old, perhaps, (it's SURPLUS remember) but unused...

I bought all my parts from McMaster Carr (mcmaster.com) except for the shut-off/check valves which came from Northern Brewer (and aren't in the photo because they haven't arrived yet). If you hover over the photo, notes should appear with part numbers...

kvh

blefferd said:
i plan on making a 4 co2 regulator manifold for my kegorator, i purchased the regulators from SA and they are all corroded and used looking anyone else have this problem?

also where do you get the gauges come from?!?!?

Hey I had an idea I thought I'd throw ya. If you get a single gauge and figure out a way to adapt it to have a ball lock post on it, you can simply connect any gas line to that gauge, adjust pressure, then throw it on the keg. That is unless you want to be able to monitor pressure on all lines at a glance. I don't know, maybe?

Bobby_M said:
Hey I had an idea I thought I'd throw ya. If you get a single gauge and figure out a way to adapt it to have a ball lock post on it, you can simply connect any gas line to that gauge, adjust pressure, then throw it on the keg. That is unless you want to be able to monitor pressure on all lines at a glance. I don't know, maybe?

I think you'd need one ball-lock valve per regulator, and then all into a header/distributor, with a pressure gage. The gages were ~$9 each, Ball valves (for that size) are the same price, and then you need the piping to run them all together and a gage still... that's probably ~$50 total. This was just under $30.

@kvh -
Are you connecting those regulators directly to your CO2 tank? I didn't see any mention of a primary before that setup so I just thought I would pass along a note from the first post in this thread:
david_42 said:
This is a secondary regulator. The primary side takes 20-60 PSI CO2

You could run into problems down the road if they are connected directly to the tank. If I just missed any mention of a primary you have then disregard this. I plan on making my setup very similar to this however, should be kick ass!

TheFlyingBeer said:
@kvh -
Are you connecting those regulators directly to your CO2 tank? I didn't see any mention of a primary before that setup so I just thought I would pass along a note from the first post in this thread:

You could run into problems down the road if they are connected directly to the tank. If I just missed any mention of a primary you have then disregard this. I plan on making my setup very similar to this however, should be kick ass!

You didn't miss anything. I have a very very old primary regulator that came with my tank. It's funky, big, dirty, and old, but it seems to work. I can replace it down the road perhaps. I took it to my LHBS and they were a little confused by it, but I'll figure it out...

I'm mostly hoping the quick-release gas connect works without leaking. A tall order, I realize. If I end up sending them back, and maybe replacing that head dial (0-100 PSI) with... a plug, it'll knock the total cost down to about $100.

Thanks for the concern though... here's hoping!

kvh

kvh said:
I think you'd need one ball-lock valve per regulator, and then all into a header/distributor, with a pressure gage. The gages were ~$9 each, Ball valves (for that size) are the same price, and then you need the piping to run them all together and a gage still... that's probably ~$50 total. This was just under $30.

Let me try to clarify. You'll run a valve and hose barb off each secondary and those all go to their own gas in disconnect to the kegs. You can either put a single gauge on each of the secondary regs in the bank (a total of 4) or try what I suggested. If you take a gauge and adapt it to look just like gas in post that you have on your kegs, you can plug it in to any of the 4 regulator outputs via the connectors. This is like using the gauge as a temporary test set. You'd pop it on, set your pressure, pop it off.

Got mine a couple of days ago. I bought two. Now I'll have my main reg set at 30psi for sodee-pop and the other two at different pressures for whatever. I may go crazy and build a separate manifold for each regulator.

kvh said:
You didn't miss anything. I have a very very old primary regulator that came with my tank. It's funky, big, dirty, and old, but it seems to work. I can replace it down the road perhaps. I took it to my LHBS and they were a little confused by it, but I'll figure it out...

I'm mostly hoping the quick-release gas connect works without leaking. A tall order, I realize. If I end up sending them back, and maybe replacing that head dial (0-100 PSI) with... a plug, it'll knock the total cost down to about $100.

Thanks for the concern though... here's hoping!

kvh
OK - I am a complete nube at this, and looked at the photo of this setup and have some stupid questions, sorry, but here goes...
1.) why can't i see where the hoses connect to the individual secondary regs? I don't see another port, only the adjustment screw.
2.) what is the function of the one 0-100 psi gauge at the end of the line? If you have a primary gauge, don't you know what psi is being delivered to this manifold?
Sorry I am probably way off with these stupid questions. Trying to figure this. :confused:

WormBoy said:
OK - I am a complete nube at this, and looked at the photo of this setup and have some stupid questions, sorry, but here goes...
1.) why can't i see where the hoses connect to the individual secondary regs? I don't see another port, only the adjustment screw.
2.) what is the function of the one 0-100 psi gauge at the end of the line? If you have a primary gauge, don't you know what psi is being delivered to this manifold?
Sorry I am probably way off with these stupid questions. Trying to figure this. :confused:

You are mostly correct in your questioning of me... I *thought* the 1-100 psi gage would come in handy... it's not. I'm going to just cap that end instead. I also decided to send back the quick-release connection as I've been told it will just leak.

Also, along the bottom side of the image, there are a series of holes which parallel the ones along the top (holding the gages). If you could see the regulator now, you'd find a series of ball/check valves with barb connections for the gas lines. They weren't in yet from Northern Brewer when I took that first photo.

I'm expecting my tower, some more kegs, and other bits and pieces in this week. Hopefully by next weekend I'll have it all fully assembled and some more photos up. I'll tell you when that is...

Thanks for the cross-check.

kvh

Here are my plans for nearly the same setup. I am going to order most of my parts from Beverage Factory but I am going to try and price match them with another cheaper website... The prices I list in the table below would be the cheaper of the two sites. I am choosing to go with 1/4 MPT on my gas connects as dealing with barbs gets quite annoying. Let me know if you have any questions, and yes I know I obsess quite a bit about my equipment before buying it (I just like the best prices possible). And the shipping and tax will be low because I am going in on this with a friend so all the shipping is halved :rockin:.

secondary_reg1.jpg

secondary_table1.jpg

My secondary regulators are in, and I have been assembling the list for the parts I need to get a 4-way regulator set up. The trouble that I am having is that the primary regulator that I am using does not have the part that connects to the carbon dioxide tank. I can't seem to find one without buying another whole primary regulator setup. Does anyone know where to find one?

Mine just got shipped out so I should have them soon. Thanks for the picks kvh and TheFlyingBeer, they'll come in handy.

Back