Water Source

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RiversC174

Reaction score
I just wanted to know what water you guys all use to top up your fermenters. Do you use tap or bottled or something? I was very anxious to get my first batch ready and I simply used 6 gallons of steam distilled bottled water both to dissolve the malt extract and to top up my fermenter. Was that alright or should I really have boiled all water being used in the operation to absolutely ensure sterility? I'm just afraid I screwed the whole thing up but then again I find it hard to believe that bottled steam distilled water could have enough microorganisms to inoculate my brew and screw it up. I'll be waiting hopefully for your replies, keep my brew in your prayers...

Joe

If your water is sterile, either by steam or by distillation, as in bottled water, you'll be fine for sanitization purposes. The only thing to be concerned about is the "hardness" of your water. Distilled water is neutral, which isn't bad, but having slightly "hard" water (what I do is add gypsum to distilled water in the boil) is advantageous for settling out the residue. I don't think your water is going to hurt anything.

I use City of Milwaukee tap water run through a brita style faucet mounted filter. I dont boil it befor I use it I just make sure the milk jug I use is nice and clean.

I've been using tap water, straight from the faucet for my AG. I just read a blurb in CP's book that said that chlorine residue will make a maltier beer. Maybe that explains the body in my rye brew- a slice of beer, anyone?

Like casebrew, I do AG . I do get rid of chlorine ( bad taste to beer) before using my tap water for brewing. I add campton tablet, 1 to 20 gallons of water, for 1 night to clear.
I get enough wort so there is no need to top up. I also don't top up my secondary as I fel that waters down my brew.

In the US, water sold as spring water, drinking water, or distilled water is sterilized and filtered...no need to worry about it at all. Distilled water isn't recommended for brewing as rewser said, but it's unlikely you'll notice a difference doing extracts. In the future if you're going to buy water tho, spring water or drinking water is best.

As far as tap water goes, you really want to boil it before using it to top off, IMHO.

My personal choice is to use bottled spring water...it's not too expensive and you never have to worry about boiling it.

rewster451 said:
what I do is add gypsum to distilled water in the boil
Isn't gypsum used to alter the pH? While I'm asking this, does anyone have any threads on pH bookmarked? Searching for pH yields nothing because pH is too short of a search term (dumb). Thanks!

I used to worry about my water and use nothing but bottled water. After talking to my LHBS which recently opened a small brew-pub, the water in my region is great for brewing. Now all I do is filter it primarily to remove chlorine.

Must be nice, the water here is terrible as it is in much of the Deep Coastal South. I always use bottled.

I think gypsum does alter the PH, but distilled water is neutral (7). I think the ideal ph for beer water is like 5-6. But I'm not sure whether gypsum gets it in that range or not. Works for me.

Back