Paulaner Salvator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewsmith

Home brewing moogerfooger
Reaction score
Here's the official tasting thread for the Paulaner Salvator Doppelbock.
paulaner_salvator.gif

Here's my tasting...

Appearance - Deep amber, clear, off-white rocky head, has legs that coat the glass.

Aroma - Malty, a little sweet, and a little raisin fruity

Flavor - Malty, rich, a little toasty. A slight raisin fruit flavor from the malt. Just bitter enough to cut the sweetness.

Mouthfeel - Thick, full, but dries fairly well in the finish. The flavors linger, but not heavy.

Overall - Another great example of a classic Doppelbock. I love how drinkable this beer is. It is very thick and rich, yet it dries out and is very smooth. I think I want to fast for several days and drink nothing but doppelbock.

Mods - move this to the commercial beer forum.

Thanks for the write-up! I like this beer, also, though it's been a while since I've had one. I'll post some notes the next time one hits the fridge.

I like Salavator fine. In fact I like any Rheinheitsgebot dopplebock pretty much all the time and any time.

However, if I have Salvator and Optimator both in the fridge I give the Salvator to company and keep the Optimator for me. I just like the maltiness of the Optimator better.

But that is an opinion and I am not going to argue with someone who likes the Salvator better.

M2c,
P

OK, I got it. I like Optimator because it is all malty without being grainy like a Brit barley wine. (Traquir, Sisyphus). The "trouble" with Salvator is it tastes like a fruity girly man USA barley wine, that has been watered down. To me.

It isn't Paulaner's fault the US craft brewers started with Salvator, took out some water and called it a barley wine. I like Salvator a lot, it just tastes like a watered down version of a fruity girly-man USA barley wine is all. Bummer deal, but I'll suck these down like there is no tomorrow if that is what you got in your cooler.

Back