Burner setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hamrd

Reaction score
I am building a herms 2 pump 2 burner system without automation at least for now, I have already purchased 2 bg14 burners and I want to build a manifold with 2 valves.
I am not sure if I should go with high or low pressure regulator and what kind of valves. I may eventually go automated.
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

I use the same burners. I bought this regulator to go from the tank to the piping. Then I put a ball valve to go from the piping to the orifice of the burner. You can use needle valves for better flame control, but I have pretty good control with the ball valves.

Check out my Thread to see some pics of my piping setup. Kinda hard to see but you get the jist.

I bought the regulator tally350z purchased and it works great for propane and bg14's. I did run into one issue with the Type I connector on the regulator. Depending on how you build your manifold, you can may end up triggering the excess flow preventer inside the Type I connector. Had this happen in the middle of a brew session and it was a pain to get the burners fired back up. So if you go with it, you may want to consider replacing the Type I on the regulator and threading on a POL connector without excess flow prevention (http://propanewarehouse.com/polfittingdetail.asp?ID=3002).

However, like I said - you may or may not run into this issue.

These are the solenoid valves I'm using in my system for automation (http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-2-Brass-E...ultDomain_0&hash=item43b0091a21#ht_2096wt_907).

Thanks for the reply, I think I will got with that pop connector, with that solenoid valve what kind of pilot light setup are you using?

I'm building my ignition system using Hot Surface Ignitors . Search Honeywell Hot Surface Igniter - Model number is Q3200U1004 on Ebay. Paid 23 bucks each for mine. You need to have a mechanism to allow them to heat up before firing the gas. So, a standing pilot or grill ignitor might be the best option if you do not want to deal with the timing of an HSI.

I bought the regulator tally350z purchased and it works great for propane and bg14's. I did run into one issue with the Type I connector on the regulator. Depending on how you build your manifold, you can may end up triggering the excess flow preventer inside the Type I connector. Had this happen in the middle of a brew session and it was a pain to get the burners fired back up. So if you go with it, you may want to consider replacing the Type I on the regulator and threading on a POL connector without excess flow prevention (http://propanewarehouse.com/polfittingdetail.asp?ID=3002).

However, like I said - you may or may not run into this issue.

These are the solenoid valves I'm using in my system for automation (http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-2-Brass-Electric-Solenoid-Valve-110-120-VAC-Water-Air-Fuels-Gas-VITON-B21V-/290716195361?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43b0091a21#ht_2096wt_907).

So I am planning on ordering these same valves and burners but I have read the valves pressure rating is only good up to 11" WC or about .5 psi. Am I missing something or is the ball valve limiting enough to not worry about the pressure ratings?

The pressure limit on the solenoid valves is advertised as 115 psi, which would be way more than 11" wc. Wondering where you saw that statistic?

The pressure limit on the solenoid valves is advertised as 115 psi, which would be way more than 11" wc. Wondering where you saw that statistic?

I was literally just coming back to tuck my tail and delete that post. I went back and checked and you are correct, rated up to 115 psi. Well off to order all the parts for my gas system!

Back