iodine sanitizer we all use

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmongoose

Reaction score
dont know if this has been asked in the past but just curious if anyone has come up with a substitute or a simple recipe for the solution we use to sanitizing equipment...when we first started brewing it was like $14/bottle and would last awhile now its $20....just looking for a cheaper way...any help out there?

A lot of old school homebrewers think that rinse-less sanitizers such as Star San are the best thing thats happened to their brewing. Doesn't seem like a place to skimp, plus the per batch cost of Star San is negligible.

understandable and not trying to skimp just wondering if there was a home recipe for said solution mix..

Bleach? I wouldn't use it but it is used globally to make water potable so perhaps it would be a cheap alternative?

I bought a 32 oz bottle of starsan for about $20. I usually use a half oz for bottling, half oz for brewing -- often the same batch for both. That will see me through at least a year's worth of brews. Having to rinse the first couple batches was a pain.

I used bleach when I first started. Never got an infection, but if I wasn't extremely thorough when rinsing I could sure taste it.

As far as a substitute for Star-san or Iodophor, can't help you there. And as has been said above, sanitizing is something I won't skimp. If I run out of Star-San, I put off whatever I needed to do until I'm able to get more.

I've seen homemade recipes for Oxyclean or PBW, but haven't tried them.

I bought a 32 oz bottle of starsan for about $20. I usually use a half oz for bottling, half oz for brewing -- often the same batch for both. That will see me through at least a year's worth of brews. Having to rinse the first couple batches was a pain.
I just use it to mix up a 5 gallon batch and store it in a bucket/keg. Don't need to mix up a fresh batch each time. 32 oz bottle will last a lot longer than a year even brewing 3 times a month.

Back