OG calculations off by 30%

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thisisjohnbrown

Reaction score
I have been incredibly frustrated my last few brews, because my efficiency comes out to around 50%. I have been using Beersmith for my calculations.

On a whim, I downloaded Beer Alchemy and put in the recipe I did last night that I missed by 9 gravity points. At 65% efficiency (which I had resigned myself to because of constantly missing my mark), the BS2 version says my OG should be 1.060, but BA says 1.047. I have the same pre boil and post boil and final volumes for both.

I have included screen shots of the two recipes.

What is happening here? I feel like I am going crazy, and that if I just use BA, then my recipes and efficiencies are going to be correct.

oDoW

UiBx

at 65% in beersmith I'm coming out to 1.058 and I always hit my numbers from beersmith. Not sure what's up

I've been having some similar problems, and I've explored many options. Right now, I'm checking some of my expected yield numbers for my ingredients in BeerSmith with a friend of mine who gets better efficiency. It's hard to compare across different systems and methods, but if BeerSmith has high estimates for yield for base grains, then we'll typically come in under what it would expect us to for OG. The expected yield of each fermentable ingredient is a major factor in predicting OG in these software programs, I think, and small differences can add up to a lot of swing, especially in larger batches.

Back