You know you're a home brewer when?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
*When you go to a weird junkhouse auction, see an old data-switching box, and say to yourself, 'huh, if I can get that for two bucks or less, I can gut it and turn it into a stir plate...' and now have it in your possession - for two bucks. Guess I need to visit Radio Shack. :D

*To add to above, you think about bidding on a soldering set, but consider it too late, and lose out to the guy who bid two and a half bucks on it... d'oh!

*When you weed out your store of bottles with anything remotely related to a particular beer brand (for example, 'Samuel Adams' bottles that have the name imprinted in the glass) because you've amassed such a large store of 'blanks' you can afford to be a snob - purely for labeling reasons.

*When you experience your first bottle bomb and marvel at how a beer bottle, ensconced in a cardboard beer box, blows a ragged hole through said box, wedges a shard of glass in the wall, and sprinkles the floor with brilliant flecks of brown glass ... and then shed a small tear for the precious beer lost (while cleaning the mess wearing safety glasses and rubber gloves 'just in case' another goes terminal).

Dawnhulio said:
*When you go to a weird junkhouse auction, see an old data-switching box, and say to yourself, 'huh, if I can get that for two bucks or less, I can gut it and turn it into a stir plate...' and now have it in your possession - for two bucks. Guess I need to visit Radio Shack. :D

*To add to above, you think about bidding on a soldering set, but consider it too late, and lose out to the guy who bid two and a half bucks on it... d'oh!

*When you weed out your store of bottles with anything remotely related to a particular beer brand (for example, 'Samuel Adams' bottles that have the name imprinted in the glass) because you've amassed such a large store of 'blanks' you can afford to be a snob - purely for labeling reasons.

*When you experience your first bottle bomb and marvel at how a beer bottle, ensconced in a cardboard beer box, blows a ragged hole through said box, wedges a shard of glass in the wall, and sprinkles the floor with brilliant flecks of brown glass ... and then shed a small tear for the precious beer lost (while cleaning the mess wearing safety glasses and rubber gloves 'just in case' another goes terminal).

I've removed a bunch of my bottles from my collection so I have plenty of standard long necks for judges. And then I kicked myself when I figured out they make the best gift bottles since you don't care about getting them back.

just did just such a filtering recently, and sam adams bottles were the first to go. on the other hand abita bottles, which also have the name embossed in the glass, are apparently ok by me :drunk:

i also got rid of most of my 22's, since i like pouring my beer in one go. 22's = two beers, so you have to stop halfway and that kicks up the yeast/lees. it was easier than buying bigger beer mugs. i kept a few high-pressure bombers (like from dogfish head or champagne bottles) for my belgian brews, but all "regular" bombers were given away.

some call it snobery. i hide behind the excuse that it's a preference :mug:

I pour the 22's into two glasses. I keep the bottle tilted in between pours so the beer doesn't rush back and kick up the yeast.

You're planning to build custom wooden storage cases for bottles so you can securely stack them in your basement - and also contain any potential bottle bombs.

When two days after your wife delivers baby number 2, your 4 year old asks if it's ok "for mommy to have beer now? "

Also, since said delivery was early, you check the airlocks on two carboys each night to make sure they're not drying out since Sunday kinda got lost to other things. On the bright side, that stuff is looking really clear.

You get somebody to house sit for you while going on an unexpected trip. Have 2 pages of instructions but don't have any pets, plants, or children to be concerned about...

Every package you recieve SWMBO automatically moves to the brew room, "Since thats where it all goes anyway".

When you call in sick to work and the boss asks what you're brewing and when it will be ready.

You get deployment orders and SWMBO's first question is "will you brew enough beforehand to last while you're gone?"

When one of your deal-breaking criteria for renting a new condo is if the patio has sufficient air circulation to brew in

just did just such a filtering recently, and sam adams bottles were the first to go. on the other hand abita bottles, which also have the name embossed in the glass, are apparently ok by me :drunk:

I picked up a few 6-packs of Tiger beer at a happy hour. Not only do they have the easiest to remove labels that I've ever encountered (they practically fall off just from condensation while you're drinking it!), but they have "tiger" embossed on the shoulder. That somehow makes it cooler.:ban:

When you notice that the sleeves on one of your favourite hoodies looks like it's been eaten away by acid, puzzled you think 'how did that happen...?' and then realise that it's from your habit of liberally spraying brew gear with Starsan!

Note to self: wear a T-shirt.

brewnz said:
When you notice that the sleeves on one of your favourite hoodies looks like it's been eaten away by acid, puzzled you think 'how did that happen...?' and then realise that it's from your habit of liberally spraying brew gear with Starsan!

Note to self: wear a T-shirt.

I have a couple tshirts like that. For ages I thought my parrot had put the holes in there...

When one of the Lieutenants on the local navy base considers your IPA the best retirement gift he was given and it's elusiveness (being a homebrew and all) and recent reputation at a local beer fest makes him put your beer at celebrity status. Mmmm.......Badfish!!!

You endure two consecutive weekends of children's birthday parties (that happen during college football), shopping for kids clothes at a madhouse church consignment store, wake at 5 am to sneak out to buy fresh flowers for wedding anniversary...just to brew 10 gallons of Willamette SMaSH that SWMBO likes and will not share.

You give up your MSU football season ticket so you can stay home and:

Bottle an Octoberfest
Bottle a Heffe
Brew a Two Hearted Ale clone with harvested Bells yeast
Build your DIY Ebay Temp Controller
Add a dip tube to your bottling bucket
Harvest some Hefe yeast

To be fair, we are playing a cupcake team today and its going to rain :D

Hulud said:
When you tell your wife, when buying a house, you need an extra bedroom for brewing

Haha I'm moving next week and we got a 3 bed house, the spare will be a brewing room :)

When the front study room becomes the computer room. Then you discover home beer brewing,& it becomes a brewery too. Then you start making plans for a man cave,& & &...Some french doors to close it off...one of those beer keg table & chair sets would be cool...a big screen TV for the opposite wall...then a fridge for bottled beers,yeast,etc....Oh nooooo,please God help me!...:D

When you're flooring it to your girlfriends house because brew day ran 2 hours longer than planned....again.

When you design your basement with three drains in the middle if the floor in anticipation of future "disasters" in your brewery. Or just to make it easier to clean up by spraying it all down.

When you consider selling your nice guitar, to buy more ingredients and equipment.

When you often read HBT or beer articles as you fall asleep to relax, and then do the same after the alarm goes of in the morning to ease into the day.

When you want to move out of state for the brewing weather.(florida is never the right temp to brew effectively)

word. It's impossible for me to chill my wort to pitch temps using Texas tap water, in the summer our tap water is probably over 80, even with a pre-chiller I can only get it to mid 70's

You see a big end-of-season clearance display of coolers and think, "Oh look. Mash tuns."

When you're really excited to brew something new only to find you don't have the intended ingredient and you spend 4hrs between 3 grocery stores and a health food store for a suitable replacement. And no, clover honey is NOT the same as sage honey!

When you see a sign for foam insultaion with FOAM in big letters that stood out you thought it was Fellowship of Oklahoma Ale Makers sign.

When you decide today is the day your washing empties, and you find one that Is full, and you keg your beer.

Your daughter has to take to school a few things that begin with the letter F and all you can come up with is Fermenter, Fuggles, Fermcap, Ferulic acid, Funnel, False bottom, Faucet, and Fittings.

You have had to pound beers till sloppy drunk because your kegs are full and your short on bottles for the next batch.

jkendrick said:
When you're trying to fit in bottling in between feedings for your 10 day old twins!

Is that even humanly possible? I'm impressed!!!

Back