Im brewing my peanut butter porter tonight.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kmcogar

Reaction score
WEll I'm gonna give a peanut butter porter a go tonight. I'm gonna work with the ingredients I got. I think it will turn out well. I wish mash around 154. Hopefully this will turn out good.

image-4083978935.jpg

image-4232902162.jpg

After it ferments I'm going to put 2 jars of bells PB2 powdered chocolate peanut butter in the secondary. Probably for about 2 weeks.

image-4232902162.jpg

It says each 7 oz jar is equal to 18oz of real peanut butter. I'm hoping this will put enough flavor in it for me.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• image-4213553245.jpg
    image-4213553245.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 573
Xpertskir said:
Wont the oil kill your head retention?

The powdered PB2 has no oil. They use water instead of oil to give it the peanut buttery texture. But that's why I threw that 1lb of carapils in there. To insure good head retention.

For my PB porter, I used pale chocolate malt and belgian debittered black malt for color. I wanted to try to stay away from the roastiness of traditional dark malts. For a 5.5G batch, I used 8oz of 100% cocoa powder at the end of the boil and then 16oz of PB2 in secondary (it's a mess...use a funnel and have a thin stick or straw to stuff it down the funnel).

It's a good beer. Next time, I'm adding flaked oats and maybe a little bit of regular chocolate malt for a little bit of roastiness. Since I went very low with the hops (20 IBUs) and tried to stay away from the roastiness, it's a little too sweet for me. Non-craft beer drinkers love it because it's something different, it's sweet and it's a novelty.

OH....powdered, I missed that/didnt know it existed. Glad I subscribed, please update us on the results.

I did a chocolate pb stout. i used PB2 (4 oz @ 5 min and 12 oz in the secondary for a week). When I do it again, I may double that. As it stands it has a PB flavor, but it's not strong.

BrewThruYou said:
For my PB porter, I used pale chocolate malt and belgian debittered black malt for color. I wanted to try to stay away from the roastiness of traditional dark malts. For a 5.5G batch, I used 8oz of 100% cocoa powder at the end of the boil and then 16oz of PB2 in secondary (it's a mess...use a funnel and have a thin stick or straw to stuff it down the funnel).

It's a good beer. Next time, I'm adding flaked oats and maybe a little bit of regular chocolate malt for a little bit of roastiness. Since I went very low with the hops (20 IBUs) and tried to stay away from the roastiness, it's a little too sweet for me. Non-craft beer drinkers love it because it's something different, it's sweet and it's a novelty.

Thanks for the advice. I might be throwing in some flaked oats. Hopefully, it's not too sweet. I hate sweet beer.

atom said:
I did a chocolate pb stout. i used PB2 (4 oz @ 5 min and 12 oz in the secondary for a week). When I do it again, I may double that. As it stands it has a PB flavor, but it's not strong.

I wish I had more pb2........I probably won't throw any in the boil. I feel like it would be a waste. The yeast will probably eat up all the sugars

Update*

Well, due to time constraints. I bottled my peanut butter porter last night. Total time from brew day to bottling was about 17 days. I usually don't rush these things but this one I kinda had to.

Reminder. I used 2 jars of PB2 for 7 days in the secondary and 1.5 teaspoons of peanut butter extract for 5 days.

The taste was really nice. MALTY, a hint of peanut butter. It has a great peanut butter aroma.I think after the maltiness smooths out a little it might get better.

I may have put in too much roasted barley. Hopefully it smooths out a little. Either ways it should turn out good. I can't wait to taste it after it has conditioned.

*update: this recipe took 2nd place in the specialty category. It taste real gooood

Oddly I was talking about this earlier with another brewer. Living next to Hershey, I made a Reese Peanut Butter Double Chocolate Stout using a large jar of Reeses Peanut Butter. It came out great!

I did mine with the peanut butter in the boil for the entire boi. I did not add any other peanut butter or flavoring. the aroma was like sniffing the top of a freshly opened jar of peanut butter and the flavor was perfect. I do not think that anything in peanut butter is fermentable, or if it is, it did nothing but good for my beer. I plan to make it the same way again, only use PB2 instead of real peanut butter. The oil did kill a lot of the head, but it still has some, and I skimmed as much of it off as I could during the boil.

That's interesting, that you put it in the entire boil. What was the amount/gal?

I can't believe I've never heard of this holy union between porter and peanut butter before!

So did you not use the pb2 in the boil, just secondary?

This sounds great, I'm gonna have to try it!

Back