I'm freaking out...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you take a hydrometer reading?

I've had beers ferment out completely over night.

What are you using to determine that there is no fermentation? If it’s the airlock…don’t.

~ Lids can be loose and the airlock doesn’t function normally.
~ Sometime people forget to put liquid in the airlock.
~ Like I said, maybe your fermentation is done…and you don’t know it.

A hydrometer is the only way to gauge the progress of your beer.

Look at the sides of your fermenter. Even a bucket will show signs of a krausen (brown foam). No airlock action means nothing except a poor seal.

This is why I thing brewing in glass is the way to go, you can really see what is going on inside the carboy. Worst comes to worst, get another package of yeast and pitch it in, it can't hurt, unless you somehow infect the batch while pitching the yeast.

What temp did you pitch at?

What kind of yeast are you using? dried? smack pack?

What is the temp of the wort now?

Unfortunately some of the packaged beer kits come with old yeast that's no longer viable so that could be the case. In which case what you'd want to do is buy a smack pack or some more dired yeast and simply repitch.

Don't worry. Unless you used unsound sanitation you should be OK.

I'd give it a week open the bucket after a week ( not anonther 7 days but a week since you intially pitched ) if there are no signs of krausen on the sides of the bucket, I'd repitch.

I have to disagree with BierMuncher on a hydrometer being the only way to test it. In addition to looking inside the bucket, you can taste it. If you don't see any sign of Krausen it will taste sweet.

abracadabra said:
What temp did you pitch at?

What kind of yeast are you using? dried? smack pack?

What is the temp of the wort now?

Unfortunately some of the packaged beer kits come with old yeast that's no longer viable so that could be the case. In which case what you'd want to do is buy a smack pack or some more dired yeast and simply repitch.

Don't worry. Unless you used unsound sanitation you should be OK.

I'd give it a week open the bucket after a week ( not anonther 7 days but a week since you intially pitched ) if there are no signs of krausen on the sides of the bucket, I'd repitch.

I have to disagree with BierMuncher on a hydrometer being the only way to test it. In addition to looking inside the bucket, you can taste it. If you don't see any sign of Krausen it will taste sweet.
A hydrometer reading and 30 seconds...all questions are answered.

Latest posts

Back