xStraightedgex Friends coming to one of my parties.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dasiala

Reaction score
I have seen in the ethnic food section of my local grocery store products listed as malt sodas without any alcohol. I have tasted a few of them whilst hanging around some Hispanic friends of mine, and they taste like non-fermented wort with carbonation. Now, forgive my friends for their way of life, but I like to be a good host. Is it possible I could boil a decent amount of wort, keg it, and carb it to a soda-like level and it would be tasty for these folks without pitching yeast and fermenting it?

Malt sodas are pretty popular. They're usually known as Malta so you should be able to find some information on this, as well as through the forums. I'm allergic so I don't touch them.

My husband and I are SxE, we started making our own sodas because its easier and more fun, if you can't find anything at your grocers, find a local brew store and pick up some soda syrup and seltzer water. Make your own, we got a good recipe for some easy made root beer, and tweek with it!

"We have been experimenting with new formulas for a syrup to add to carb'd water, our most recent was steep 1/3 lb of ground malt in 2 cups water, add 2 tbsp rootbeer extract, 2 cups turbanado sugar, 1/2 cup honey, 1/2 tsp vanilla, 1 tsp black walnut extract, 1 tsp butterscotch extract."

All are easy ingredients to find and still inexpensive. If you havea soda stream, use it, if not its good in seltzer water too!

Back