Filtering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MidRex

Reaction score
I'm on my second keg now. This batch had nottingham yeast in it. My siphon sucked in some of the yeast that was still floating around when i transfered to the keg and when I did my first pour...it shot about 10 of them into my glass. It seems that both of my batches that used nottingham had some guys still floating around even after 2wks in the secondary. Should i do some sort of filtering? If so what method? Also...is this a characteristic of nottingham so still have some floating around?

It is normal for the first pint in a keg to have some yeast, regardless of what yeast you use. I have a canister filter. I don't use it all that often, mainly for berry ciders. Easy enough to make one yourself. The main trick I've found in using it is to invert the filter at the end. This forces almost all of the brew out of the filter into the second cornie.

1548.jpg

Back