Just brewed my first batch...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drunkrightnow

Reaction score
Why was that so much fun? Everything went as planned (i think) except when we boiled the 2.5 gallons to make the wort and dumped it in the primary bucket, we didn't know how much to add to make it "5.25 gallons" like it said in the directions. We just kinda winged it to make it closer to 5.5+ gallons. I hope we didn't screw that part up. I sanitized an old milk jug for my measurements, but was't sure hoe much evaporated. It's a Fat Tire extract kit w/specialty grains. I was thinking about leaving it in the primary for 2 weeks, then transferring it to the secondary for a week, then bottling it and letting it sit for 3 weeks. Does this sound ok? All the directions say is that it takes 6 weeks. I wish I could have it 5 weeks bc we're having a party then, but don't want to drink it too early. Anyway, that was a lot of fun, but this is going to be a long 6 weeks. :mug:

I was thinking about leaving it in the primary for 2 weeks,

Great idea, but leave it until it is completly finished.

then transferring it to the secondary for a week, then bottling it and letting it sit for 3 weeks. Does this sound ok? All the directions say is that it takes 6 weeks. I wish I could have it 5 weeks bc we're having a party then, but don't want to drink it too early. Anyway, that was a lot of fun, but this is going to be a long 6 weeks. :mug:

The rest sounds good. Yes it will be a while before you drink it, but it will be better for it.

You could probably drink it after bottling for 1-2 weeks. Even though 3 weeks is ideal, if you have an itchy trigger finger like me, it probably wouldn't hurt to try a couple out.

You could probably drink it after bottling for 1-2 weeks. Even though 3 weeks is ideal, if you have an itchy trigger finger like me, it probably wouldn't hurt to try a couple out.

True, although I've had a few beers that tasted "off" at week 1 & 2 and be amazing the 3rd. So if you do try it early, don't be disappointed if the flavors aren't fully developed. I'd hate for you to think your first beer was ruined, when in actuality it was simply green.

Good work your first beer!!!

Also forgot to mention the gravity came out to 1.050, what it said it was supposed to be in the directions. Am I supposed to just drop the hydrometer straight in the bucket?. I still don't really know much about what these numbers mean so I need to do more reading.

Also, can I take the lid off and look at it? It's in the bucket so I can't see it. I want to see whats going on in there

Also forgot to mention the gravity came out to 1.050, what it said it was supposed to be in the directions. Am I supposed to just drop the hydrometer straight in the bucket?. I still don't really know much about what these numbers mean so I need to do more reading.

Also, can I take the lid off and look at it? It's in the bucket so I can't see it. I want to see whats going on in there

You could toss the hydrometer right in the bucket, which I have been known to do from sheer laziness. Although, this is highly not recommended as you run the risk of contaminating your batch. You can actually fill up these large vial type glasses that can be used for testing and just drop the hydrometer into that. Look around, you'll probably be able to find one at your LHBS.

Back