San Diego County Fair Homebrew Comp (yay me!)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carnevoodoo

Reaction score
The SD County Fair comp was today. 623 entries, so it is a big one. I won first in English Browns (entered a Southern English Brown) and Light Hybrid (entered a Blonde). My other scores were good, but I was happy because these two were the ones I knew would do the best.

yay!

nice...I was there too. Were you the one who the judge said soemthing like it was the best english brown he's judged? either way congrats! I entered that category too, but I new I wasn;t gonna win. I ondershot my mash temp and it came out a little light. I also entered a hefe and an IPA. My hefe scored nicely (I don't remember exact number). My IPA would have done a lot better if the stupid bottle hadn't broke. Overall, it was my first competition and I was very satisfied.

nice...I was there too. Were you the one who the judge said soemthing like it was the best english brown he's judged? either way congrats! I entered that category too, but I new I wasn;t gonna win. I ondershot my mash temp and it came out a little light. I also entered a hefe and an IPA. My hefe scored nicely (I don't remember exact number). My IPA would have done a lot better if the stupid bottle hadn't broke. Overall, it was my first competition and I was very satisfied.

Yeah. I talked to the judges after and the guy who did the initial scoring said he loved it and when it came to the mini BOS, there was no question of who won. A friend of mine was part of the panel and he said, "When I saw it was you I tried to get them to change their minds!" but I still won.

That competition is tough, but it is a lot of fun. There's some great brewers in SD, and those QUAFF guys take it pretty seriously. It is all fun for me. I'll take it more seriously when I do it professionally.

Congratulations!

I too was there. Got 4th in the Stout category with a Russian Imperial Stout. It was the second beer I made.

Going to have to make another batch of it this weekend.

Congratulations!

I too was there. Got 4th in the Stout category with a Russian Imperial Stout. It was the second beer I made.

Going to have to make another batch of it this weekend.

Congrats, man. That's awesome. The second time around should be even better than the first.

I am a show-off. :)

16ld4qw.jpg

maijjo.jpg

Anyone going to compete this year? I'm thinking about entering my Imperial Stout, and maybe a Northern English Brown. I've never entered any competition before, but I thought, What the heck?!

I'll be entering something, just not sure what yet. I'd love to enter my doppelbock or belgian dark strong, but they won't be done aging. Maybe I'll get a smaller belgian going, or a nice specialty ale.

So I know it's too late now to remind anyone, but the deadline has past for this year (about 40 minutes ago).

I registered my Imperial Stout and my N. English Brown.

Good Luck!

I've got a barleywine in wood-aged, a rye wine in specialty, an American pale, a saison and a biere de garde.
I'm looking forward to having my ego destroyed!
Edit: I also have a belgian dark strong.

Back