What to do with starter...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tireater

Reaction score
I made a 1.040 starter and put it on my stir plate 2 days ago...I think the fermentation is done...
What should I do to use the starter in my first AG batch this afternoon..?....Thanks

Not sure exactly what you're asking, but you can either pour the whole thing in or, after the yeast settle, decant most of the supernatant and just pitch the yeast. If it's still sitting on the stir plate, it depends on how long you have before you're going to pitch it whether you're going to have enough time for the majority of yeast to flocculate, in which case pouring it all in makes sense. Some would also argue that it depends on what you're brewing and the size of the starter (i.e. do you want to pitch a 2L unhopped starter into a light beer....whereas for a stout, you certainly wouldn't notice it).

I made a 1.040 starter and put it on my stir plate 2 days ago...I think the fermentation is done...
What should I do to use the starter in my first AG batch this afternoon..?....Thanks
If you are brewing this afternoon, give the starter a good swirl and pour the whole thing into the cooled & aerated wort. The yeast is in suspension and you want to get all of it into your wort.

Other times, as mentioned above, you don't want the potential off flavors of the starter to impact your beer so you allow the starter to completely ferment out (I usually give mine three days or so), chill it for a couple of days so the yeast flocculate and settle to the bottom, and decant the starter wort on brew day, leaving just enough liquid to allow the yeast to pour out of the starter vessel.

Chad

Thanks for the replys...I will pour this one in directly...and let the next starter settle out...

Back