Weissbier Honey Orange Hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just started a batch using whitelabs 300 and .75 tettnang for this first portion of hops... we will see how it goes...

Update: Sadly something went wrong with the brew and it came out tasting of soap. I know this is a common issue with letting the beer sit in primary for too long however mine was only in primary for 10 days. I'm sure something snuck in at some point during the brew day. I'll be giving this brew another whirl very soon.

Well Reno, I was going to brew up your Punkin Ale to be ready for the fall when I realized my keg (only have 1 so far, 2 more waiting for a keezer) was getting low. So I decided to switch to this recipe for a quick grain to glass that I have been eyeing for a bit. I am not sure about the orange (for my taste) so I am going to brew it without the orange peel then can add a slice of orange if I prefer, or just stick with the Honey Hefe.
If you happen to read this soon, any advise on fermentation temps? I am thinking around 62 as I want some of the esters, but prefer the honey to stand out a bit.

Thanks,

Chris

62 will be good for getting you more clove phenols, whereas high-60's and higher will give you more banana esters. I'd say set the temperature according to your taste. Personally, I like a balance of the two aromas/flavors.

Reno_eNVy said:
62 will be good for getting you more clove phenols, whereas high-60's and higher will give you more banana esters. I'd say set the temperature according to your taste. Personally, I like a balance of the two aromas/flavors.

Thanks Reno.

I thought a lower temp would have meant less cloves and banana. I have moved up to 65 looking for a balance.

Cheers

ok. I am making this for the 31st. ha, the pressures on lads. I went and got the ingredient tonight. I had to sub flaked wheat with barley and danstar Munich for the yeast, what I had avail at a new brew shop. my lhbs is in the middle of a week long festival an didn't want to deal with that. I hope I do this recipe proud.

ok , well i did this with the above subs and it went well, got post boil og 140. smelled great, of course i had to use orange peel with the white scraped off, couldnt find my zester. will post updates.

Do you guys find 10IBUs enough for this beer? I am considering making it closer to 15...

I can't remember the actual range, but I'm pretty sure 5 IBUs difference is within the range that most humans can't detect.

Just finished up brewing this. the wort tasted wonderful.

WASH YOUR ORANGES!

My zester got clogged up with wax. I had forgotten they wax the oranges to make them look nicer. In the end i just used a potato peeler very carefully as not to get any pith.

ya well I just tasted mine. it was good last week today a little more bitter I'm thinking from to much pith. couldn't find my zester and tried to peel as much off as I could. so now I think when I serve it I need to add some sweet to counter act. dam

This was a big hit with the brew crew (some friends I brew with), will definitely be doing this one again thanks for the recipe. (Brewed without the orange)

ForumRunner_20130918_211532.jpg

Looking forward to making this my first all grain. Plan on doing my next day off. Just have to check my kettle and mash tun for leaks. Can not wait!!

This a 3rd time and cut the 2row back a little and doubled up on the honey malt... might have been over the top just a bit #my thoughts

Day two and no action in the air lock. Yesterday it was going but today nothing! What should i do?

Temp at mid 60s. Can not remember what strain of yeast but it was white labs. There was some slow action the other day lie once a min

If you used WLP300 the hefeweizen yeast it has a very quick and pretty crazy fermentation at first. By day two it slows down considerably. Also, it ferments best at 70-72 degrees so your cooler temp might be keeping it at rest a little more than optimal.
Other than that you could have had some sterilization problems (hope not) or maybe dropped the yeast in while the wort was still too hot which might have killed some of the cells.
Fear not though. No airlock action doesn't mean no fermentation... Could just be slower than usual.

Without realizing this thread even existed, I brewed something somewhat similar to this over the weekend.

I usually do 4 gallon batches.....here's my recipe.

4lbs White Wheat
2.25lbs German Pilsner
0.75lbs Honey Malt

0.5oz of Tettnanger at 90minutes

50/50 blend of WLP300 and WLP380. Underpitched by about 35%.

Mashed at 153 and double batch sparged. Ended up with 5.65 gallons preboil and 4.4 gallons postboil. OG into the bucket was 1.057.

Fermenting right now at 18C (64.4F) in a 6.5gal bucket with airlock that is happily bubbling away.

I did a variation of this with less honey malt, a more even wheat/pilsner distribution and only the WLP380 over the summer that was well received. I am hoping my tweaks make it even better.

So my grain guy was out of flaked wheat, so I ran over to whole foods and found crushed wheat. Will this still work? Also checked my bottles and they are extremely cloudy, it would imagine some cloud is normal. But this is crazy

So my grain guy was out of flaked wheat, so I ran over to whole foods and found crushed wheat. Will this still work? Also checked my bottles and they are extremely cloudy, it would imagine some cloud is normal. But this is crazy

Yeah the crushed wheat will work.

And yes, this brew will most certainly be cloudy. How long have they been in bottles?

One week. I tried one last night and it was good. Tried a few tonight and the carb on two of them was lacking.
Planning on my second go around. This time I will keg. Also I was thinking of adding more of the honey malt like almost a pound.

BulldawgBrew said:
One week. I tried one last night and it was good. Tried a few tonight and the carb on two of them was lacking. Planning on my second go around. This time I will keg. Also I was thinking of adding more of the honey malt like almost a pound.
Anyone?

It's not unusual for the carb to be inconsistent after only a week. Give them a couple more weeks and it should be better. And if you feel it needs more honey malt, then add more honey malt. If you started with 3/4 lb per the posted recipe and are thinking of increasing it by 1/4 lb, I don't see any issues with that, so go for it. However, if you are suggesting adding another pound on top of the original .75, well that may be too much and I wouldn't recommend it. It wasn't clear to me which you were looking to do.

Done this recipe 3x now and the orange flavor/perfume only ever came through the first time. Im wondering if there might a better way to get constant results. Is there any kind of orange extract that we could use which could be easily measured instead of rind?

Going on my third try of this brew. First time was my first AG and had a few hiccups. The second try was dumped due because when cleaning up I found my thermometer had broke, not sure to as when but didn't want to risk it. Right now I have it in my mash tun. Hope this goes better.

Going on my third try of this brew. First time was my first AG and had a few hiccups. The second try was dumped due because when cleaning up I found my thermometer had broke, not sure to as when but didn't want to risk it. Right now I have it in my mash tun. Hope this goes better.

I also broke my thermometer in my batch while cooling, had to dump..was sooooo sad.

Last attempt I bottled it now I have a keg set up. What should I have psi set @? I would like to bring this to Christmas. Thanks in advance.

Just finished brewing this for the 2nd time. I have however made a couple modifications to the recipe.
I did a partial mash but used the weights listed for the all grain mash but used DME instead. Also used Wyeast Belgium Wheat yeast. I did this last time as well and it came out amazing. Had a bit higher OG@ 1.062 but ended up at roughly 6.5% abv. It's a favorite every time I bring it around.

Back