Pecan Scottish 80/- ... ideas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chriso

Broken Robot Brewing Co.
Reaction score
Again, just soliciting suggestions... What do you all think of this recipe? I'm trying to stay pretty true to BJCP style on this brew. I know the peated malt isn't authentic Scottish, thus why I reduced it to 2 oz. I think the pecan, caramel, and smoky tastes should play well together!

Please, comments? Suggestions? Looks of anguished horror? Thanks!

Recipe updated 12/16

Recipe: Pecan Scottish Ale
Style: 9C Scottish Export 80/-
TYPE: All Grain

Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.96 gal
Estimated OG: 1.054 (BJCP Guideline: 1.040-1.054)
Estimated FG: 1.013 (BJCP Guideline: 1.010-1.016)
Estimated Color: 14.1 SRM (BJCP Guideline: 9.0-17.0)
Estimated IBU: 16.9 IBU (BJCP Guideline: 15.0-30.0)
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

9 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM)
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM)
4.0 oz Aromatic Malt (20.0 SRM)
4.0 oz Honey Malt (25.0 SRM)
4.0 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM)
4.0 oz Wheat Malt (2.3 SRM)
0.50 lb Pecans, Roasted (Mash 75.0 min)

75 min Mash In Add 3.44 gal of water at 164.7 F = 150.0 F
Total Grain Weight: 11.00 lb

1.00 oz Goldings, US [4.70 %] (60 min) Hops 17.3 IBU

Taking a hint from Bearcat Brewmeister, I'll be doing.. "After the runnings clear, I collect the first 2 quarts and carmelize by boiling it down to 1 quart. "

Pecans were toasted at 300F for 10 minutes in a single layer, then poured into a paper bag to sit out overnight, hopefully getting some of the oils out of them. Pecans will be roasted 20 minutes at 375F about 4 days before brewing.

*bump* Just lookin' for suggestions... I've not tried a Scottish before, and don't want to screw this up.

Also, I'd not 'toast' the pecans and go ahead and ROAST them...meaning at least 350 degrees for about 20 or so minutes. Remember, you can take them much darker than you normally would, just to eat, as all you're trying to do is roast off oil and deepen flavor.

A few burnt tidbits are desireable.

:)

Both duly noted, will edit shortly. Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.

The base recipe looks OK though, save for those two minor misjudgements?

Looks pretty good, really. You might consider adding a touch of honey malt as well. A recent issue of BYO had an article that highly recommended a small amount (4-8 oz, IIRC) of honey malt in Scottish ale.

no opinions, but please update when you taste this. I'm very interested in seeing how it turns out

Roger that! I bought 5 lbs of Honey Malt a while back and am just finally getting down to the last 1.5 lbs about now... could definitely spare 4 oz for this, a good sub for the peat malt, and hopefully accents the pecan notes.

Will report back, I think this gets brewed this coming Sat. .... Gotta fix my mash tun first. Lost my ball valve during the big brew. Well, parts of it. The handle, spindle, and nut. Hm. Home Depot, here I come!

chriso said:
Both duly noted, will edit shortly. Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.

The base recipe looks OK though, save for those two minor misjudgements?

I'd add an extra pound of Marris Otter in. I doubt you'll hit your target SG otherwise.

:drunk:

Brewed 12/29/07. OG = 1054, yeast = WLP028 Edinburgh Ale

Weather here has been wacky, and our furnace is acting up, but I've tried to keep room temp in my dining room, where it's fermenting, to about 67-69F. (The heater randomly shuts off and doesn't turn back on until someone lowers the thermostat under the current temp, lets it sit 10 sec, and raises it back to the desired temp) A couple mornings have dropped to 62F inside the house until someone "bumped" the heater.

Tuesday 1/8, was at 1.020, and now today it finally reads FG of 1.014 which is where I want it. But the krausen still hasn't dropped even after 14 days in primary.

It tastes delicious, FWIW. But I really need to rush this beer because I have to turn in my entries on 2/6/08, and want a solid 3 weeks in the bottle before it goes in.

Do I just rack from under the krausen? Also I want to wash and save this yeast cake, do I remove the krausen before going after the yeast? Or just mix it all together, let it settle 10 mins, then pull my sludge? OR, am I being terribly impatient and should I give it until next Wednesday to see if the krausen drops?

Back