2 questions about lagering and OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbeer

Reaction score
Hi all, just made my first brew, pretty much dropped the ball on OG reading. Here are the questions

1. If I took OG about 12 hours after pitching yeast, is there a way to figure out a semi-accurate number for OG?

2. What happens if I don't lager a pilsner? I don't really have the means of controlling temperatures in my apartment, any ideas?

Thanks

1. Not that I know of by that method. The theoretical OG can be pretty easily calculated if you provide the ingredients, quantity thereof, and the size of the batch (how much went into the fermenter).

2. Can't speak to the specifics but likely the flavor won't be as clean and crisp as one would expect from a lager.

2. If you don't lager the pilsner at lower temperatures I would think it would be a lot less crisp and clean tasting than what you would want.

If you have another spare refrigerator or chest freezer around ( or maybe check craigslist for a cheap one) it would be worth your while to get a Johnson Controls Digital Temp Controller to control the temperature. One of my best buys for lagering and fermenting beer.

2. If you don't lager the pilsner at lower temperatures I would think it would be a lot less crisp and clean tasting than what you would want.

If you have another spare refrigerator or chest freezer around ( or maybe check craigslist for a cheap one) it would be worth your while to get a Johnson Controls Digital Temp Controller to control the temperature. One of my best buys for lagering and fermenting beer.

Thanks, will definatley look into this!

Back