Simple Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

junior

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have decided to experiment with a recipe to eliminate the perceived sweetness in my other recipes I have made. I am hoping a simple recipe will achieve my objective for a dry ale. I would appreciate any opinions.

96.0 % 6.00 Crisp Two-row
4.0 % 0.25 Flaked Barley

Hops
50.0 % 1.00 Chinook
50.0 % 1.00 Fuggles

Hello everyone, I have decided to experiment with a recipe to eliminate the perceived sweetness in my other recipes I have made. I am hoping a simple recipe will achieve my objective for a dry ale. I would appreciate any opinions.

96.0 % 6.00 Crisp Two-row
4.0 % 0.25 Flaked Barley

Hops
50.0 % 1.00 Chinook
50.0 % 1.00 Fuggles

Depending on your mash temp, and the timing of the hops, this should not be sweet.

Depending on your mash temp, and the timing of the hops, this should not be sweet.

Yooper, thank's for the reply, I will be mashing @ 143 for 90minutes, the hops will be .5oz Centennial for 90minutes and .5oz at flame out. I forgot to mention in the OP that this will be a 4.75 boil volume and a 3.5 gallon batch after boil.

Oh that's sounds like it's going to be bone-dry. If you use champagne yeast, you could probably get it down below 1.000!

143 is an extremely low mash temp. I wouldn't go under about 147.

Completely agree. Did a 148F mash this week (finishing at 146F after 90 min) and checked with iodine for conversion on chalk and 60 min was not long enough, 90 min was ok. Bumping the mash up to 160F after a long cool mash is a good way to ensure conversion is finished.

What yeast are you using?

Back