Xfer Grains from Freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgaepi

Brewer In Need Of Guidance
Reaction score
I have been storing my grains in the freezer but will now need to get them out for a lager brew using my temp controller. I want to xfer to a vittles vault but worried that moisture will accumulate when it comes to room temp and then stored in a sealed container. Any suggestions?

Don't open the container they're in now until they come up to temp.

I have three plastic bags w grain in them. 2 - 10 pounders and 1 - 5 pounder. Still in freezer. Do u recommend I open the bags, put into bin and add a plate of rice?

Take them out of the freezer and let them come to room temperature unopened. The condensation will be on the outside of the plastic bags. Wipe them off or let them dry on their own.

I have three plastic bags w grain in them. 2 - 10 pounders and 1 - 5 pounder. Still in freezer. Do u recommend I open the bags, put into bin and add a plate of rice?

Do not open them, and forget about the rice.

RM-MN said:
Take them out of the freezer and let them come to room temperature unopened. The condensation will be on the outside of the plastic bags. Wipe them off or let them dry on their own.

+1

If you have high humidity you might also consider a passive dehumidifier or other desiccant.

As an aside, have you seen a significant improvement in freshness from freezing grain vs storing at temps in the 40s?

I've never heard of storing malt cold. The most important consideration that I have heard of is typically to avoid moisture (which freezers are not great at, particularly if they are ever opened). I'm pretty sure grain silos aren't kept cold at the least.

No, let them come up to room temperature then put in container with an ounce or so of rice, I buy in bulk and use for the year and never had any problems this way. Grain will last longer if frozen also cuts down the chance of weevils.

I took the UC Davis beyond the kit class and the instructor said to store grain and hops in the freezer to extend their life. Which I promptly did with my last order. But then I forgot with lagering my freezer is also going to be in the 40s. Defeats the purpose of freezing it. So now i need to go backwards without ruining the grains. I bought 2 vittles vaults for future storage.

Back